Egg Drop Design Contest Rules & My Team's Design

In summary, the contestant needs materials that can be found around the house (like water bottles), and needs to create a design that will protect the egg and slow it down in the event of a drop.
Rplanas
I have an egg drop design contest. Here are the rules:

We have to drop the egg from classroom height (about 6 feet) and from gym height (about 13-15 feet). The capsule cannot weigh more than 550 grams and cannot exceed 7"x7"x7". The egg shell and the yolk have to survive. You are pretending that the egg is an astronaut. If more than one team out of five survives both tests, the lightest capsule wins. If there are two or more capsules who have the same weight, the smallest capsule wins. (Capsule doesn't mean hard capsule.)

My team made a design of the egg surrounded with thick bubble wrap tied to a parachute. It performed perfectly on the gym drop because the parachute has time to inflate. In the classroom drop, however, we had to rely on the bubble wrap to protect the egg since the parachute has no time to inflate. That design weighed 72.3 grams

I NEED BETTER IDEAS PLEASE!

Physics news on Phys.org
What materials are you allowed to use?

Anything you can get and want to use. As long as you are within the requirements above.

You could try to make a type of suspension, maybe out of elastic bands and toothpics or sumthing. If built well this may absorb some of the impact. Earlier this year in my grade 11 physics class we had to build a cart that would carry an egg while accelerating wihtout the egg falling out or breaking when running over stuff. I built suspension out of elastic bands and it absorbed bumps fairly effectively.

You could also build something like what the Mars lander had, a kind of big bubble that absorbed impact upon landing. Perhaps the egg could be suspended in the middle of the bubble so that it is never in direct contact with the part of your device that hits the ground.

Hope this helps somewhat.

-Rocketboy

Thanks, rocketboy - whoever you are!

Here's what I did for mine that I did a couple years back. You have to assume that whatever you do will work, and for me winning was top priority. I wasn't about to land without breaking then not win, so I went for low weight. I took an empty toilet paper roll and put some cotton in the bottom of it. For the top, I took two pieces of like poster board and made little "wings" out of them. The wings main purpose was to make sure it droped upright, but we angled them a little to make it spin and slow it down (they looked kinda like helicopter blades).

Anyways, we eventually won. There were three teams that made the final drop. The final drop was 5 stories by the way, so although the design sounds simple, it worked great! Well you can imagine how light ours was, and we won by weight by a LOT. Well that's what we did...

Thats actually a good idea Minger...thanks..even though u weren't talkin to me...but yeah. but what if we can't use parachutes..and i don't know if we can use wings...then...can you answer that?! :biggrin:

Hi I am trying to figure out how to make an Egg Drop Project. It is due this friday. All i can use is 2litter bottles or water bottles, you can use the labels on them, and the lids. so pretty much anything on the bottle is usable. You can use scissors to cut the bottles up and hot glue or glue sticks to keep it together. you cannot use anything like you would usually use in these projects like toothpicks, tape, cotton balls, ect.. i really need help please leave me ideas soon!

1. What materials are allowed for the egg drop design contest?

In most egg drop design contests, participants are allowed to use a variety of materials such as straws, popsicle sticks, paper, tape, rubber bands, and foam. However, it is best to check with the specific contest rules to ensure that your materials are allowed.

2. How many members are allowed on a team for the egg drop design contest?

The number of team members allowed in an egg drop design contest varies, but it typically ranges from 2-4 members. It is important to adhere to the specified number of team members to ensure fairness and equal participation.

3. Can we use pre-made materials for our egg drop design?

Generally, egg drop design contests require that the design is made with materials that are easily accessible and not pre-made. This means that you cannot use objects such as a pre-made parachute or pre-made cushion for your egg. The purpose of the contest is to create a unique design using basic materials.

4. Are there any specific size or weight limitations for the egg drop design?

The size and weight limitations for egg drop designs can vary depending on the contest rules. Some contests may have specific size or weight restrictions, while others may not have any limitations at all. It is important to carefully read and follow the rules to ensure that your design meets the requirements.

5. How will the egg drop design be judged in the contest?

The judging criteria for egg drop design contests can vary, but usually, designs are judged based on creativity, originality, and effectiveness in protecting the egg from breaking. Some contests may also consider factors such as design complexity and use of materials. It is best to familiarize yourself with the specific judging criteria outlined in the contest rules.