Does an event horizon ever exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an event horizon and the singularity inside a black hole. It is believed that time slows down inside a black hole, making it impossible to reach the event horizon and experience the singularity. This is due to a particular choice of coordinates used in general relativity. The existence of black holes is supported by their effects on surrounding stars and gas, but it is not possible to directly observe them. The discussion also compares the concept of a black hole to the existence of a city like Montgomery, Alabama and the limitations of our current technology in exploring and understanding them.
George Jones said:
Right. I wrote

If the metric components with respect to a particular coordinate system contain non-zero cross-terms, then that particular coordinate system is not orthogonal. It doesn't necessarily mean that an orthogonal coordinate system doesn't exist, but it might be case that an orthogonal coordinate doesn't exist. I think that general results are a bit tricky to obtain.

To sum up this side discussion:

- for general coordinates, you can have any combination light like, space like, and time like coordinates; further their character can change from place to place.

- For orthogonal coordinates, the only possibility is 3 spacelike, 1 timelike.

----

My earlier claims about orthogonal coordinates involving null coordinates were incorrect. This follows from two facts:

- two linearly independent null vectors cannot be orthogonal (funny, I helped someone prove this for homework exercise some time ago, but forgot about it for this discussion).

- you can choose 4 vectors at an event such that 3 are orthonormal spacelike, one is null and orthogonal to two of the spacelike vectors; but then it won't be orthogonal to the last one.

These facts rule out any orthogonal coordinates involving any light like coordinate.