Using Ti-89 to solve for Three dimensional Principle Stresss

In summary, The conversation is about programming a TI-89 Titanium calculator to solve a specific equation for sigma. The person has been trying to write a program following a given outline, but is encountering difficulties when trying to use the equation in HOME, as it asks for sigma instead of solving for it. They are seeking suggestions for how to solve this issue.
Northbysouth
I've got a TI-89 Titanium

I've taking a class in Mechanical Design and my professor informs me that we need to be able to solve the equation (equation 3-15) shown in the attachment. I've been trying to find a way to program it into my calculator, but haven't had any real success.

The purpose of the program is to solve for sigma

I tried writing a program with ProgramEditor. I followed the outline given at:

https://epsstore.ti.com/OA_HTML/csksxvm.jsp?nSetId=91276

But when I attempt to use the equation in HOME it asks me for sigma, which is what I want to solve for.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

Help is always appreciated.

Attachments

• Mech Design Principle 3 Dimensional Stresses.png
    Mech Design Principle 3 Dimensional Stresses.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 514
Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the Ti-89 calculator and how does it help in solving for three dimensional principle stresses?

The Ti-89 calculator is a scientific calculator that is commonly used in the field of engineering and mathematics. It has advanced features that allow it to handle complex calculations, including solving for three dimensional principle stresses. Its built-in functions and programming capabilities make it a powerful tool for solving stress analysis problems.

2. Can the Ti-89 solve for three dimensional principle stresses for any given material?

Yes, the Ti-89 can solve for three dimensional principle stresses for any given material as long as the necessary parameters, such as material properties and boundary conditions, are input correctly. Its ability to handle both numerical and symbolic calculations makes it versatile for solving problems involving various materials.

3. How accurate are the solutions obtained from using the Ti-89 to solve for three dimensional principle stresses?

The accuracy of the solutions obtained from using the Ti-89 to solve for three dimensional principle stresses depends on the accuracy of the input data and the mathematical model used. The calculator itself has a high level of accuracy, but it is important to ensure that all inputs are accurate to obtain reliable results.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Ti-89 for solving three dimensional principle stresses?

While the Ti-89 is a powerful tool for solving stress analysis problems, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to handle extremely complex problems, and its results may not be as accurate as those obtained from more advanced software. It is important to understand the limitations of the calculator and use it appropriately.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of stress analysis to use the Ti-89 for solving three dimensional principle stresses?

While having a strong understanding of stress analysis can be helpful, it is not necessary to use the Ti-89 for solving three dimensional principle stresses. The calculator has built-in functions and programs that can handle the mathematical calculations, but it is still important to have a basic understanding of the concepts involved in order to properly interpret and use the results obtained.