Potential difference battery

In summary, the potential difference across two batteries can be measured by using a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the desired points. Physical size is unrelated to the potential difference, as it depends on the chemistry of the battery.
Lee33

Homework Statement

How can I measure the potential difference across two batteries? For example, if I put the batteries end to end, so the negative end of one touches the positive end of the other. And let's say both batteries have 3 volts and let's denote point A to B as the point from one battery to the other.

Homework Equations

##\Delta V = -\int^b_a\vec{E} \dot\ \vec{dL}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So if the length of both batteries is 5 cm then do I put a point C in the middle of the two batteries and measure the potential difference separately from point A to point C then from point C to point A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

How can I measure the potential difference across two batteries? For example, if I put the batteries end to end, so the negative end of one touches the positive end of the other. And let's say both batteries have 3 volts and let's denote point A to B as the point from one battery to the other.

Homework Equations

##\Delta V = -\int^b_a\vec{E} \dot\ \vec{dL}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So if the length of both batteries is 5 cm then do I put a point C in the middle of the two batteries and measure the potential difference separately from point A to point C then from point C to point A?

Physical size (length) is pretty much unrelated to the potential difference across a battery. Cell potential depends upon the chemistry, while current capability and capacity scale with the volume of the cell.

Take a look at the Wikipedia entry on battery sizes.

"Measure" implies a physical process of determining potential difference. In that case one simply takes a handy voltmeter, places its leads across the desired locations, and takes the reading.

Likes 1 person

What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage.

What is a battery?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of one or more electrochemical cells.

How does a battery create potential difference?

A battery creates potential difference by separating positive and negative charges in the electrochemical cells. This creates an electric field, which causes the flow of electrons from the negative terminal to the positive terminal.

What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta who invented the battery.

How does potential difference affect electrical current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electrical current, according to Ohm's law. This means that a higher potential difference will result in a higher current flow.