Need suggestions for buying a calculator with HUGE memory

In summary: They are not nearly as flashy, but are still capable of handling more than basic arithmetic and algebra. The newer Casio FX-9000 series is even better in terms of math features, but is much more expensive.
gikiian
So my numerical analysis class requires me perform iterations involving huge expressions into my strictly NON-graphical scientific calculator. It often happens so that my current calculator (CASIO fx-911ES PLUS) does not allow me to feed in it a expression which goes beyond its input memory.

Therefore, I am looking for a NON-GRAPHICAL calculator with a substantial amount of input memory so as to allow me to feed huge hairy cumbersome expressions in it.

I need some suggestions or help as to which calculators to look forward to fulfill my need.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I suggest posting in the computer forum.

I don't know that there is such an animal.

If you don't have some basic graphical display, how would you 'feed' in huge hairy cumbersome expressions? How would you check your input? How would you get your output?

It's not clear what you class requires. Are you allowed to use only a calculator? Could you perhaps use a table with a symbolic algebra package installed? A laptop?

What SteamKing said. In "real life" science and engineering, calculators are not very useful beyond the basics of arithmetic, elementary functions (log, trig, etc) and a few memory locations. I think the main market for fancy calculators with graphics, symbolic algebra, etc is to students hoping to avoid learning how to do algebra and calculus with paper and pencil.

If you want a "calculator with lots of memory", it's called "a computer with a symbolic algebra program." You don't get fined or sent to jail if you ignore the graphics options in the software!

T89-Titanium-RUBBISH

I would think twice about buying a T89-Titanium.I spent a fortune on
one in Australia about two years ago for AU$380.00 & have had nothing but & trouble with it..Alot of the time it just didn't turn on, then suddenly it works,then when you need it the most...it ceases up on you. I have replaced the back-up battery, replaced the four AAAA batteries twice over, changed the contrast & done covered just about any other sugestion offered. Now it has frozen on the "OFF" seemingly for good & there seems to be nothing that will fix it.I have never dropped it or been clumsy handed with it.The only thing i can think of is to send it back to Texas Instruments for repair & undoubtably pay a huge repair bill as the warranty would be voided by now & then there's the wait. IsIt rearly worth all the trouble though, as i can find many far cheaper calculators that would do what i require in my first year Stats course.However amazing "some" think this calculator to be i have heard of ten times that number find them nothing but a whole"BAG OF TROUBLE" Texas Instruments will have to do a lot better than that if they want me to by another calculator from them.

Last edited:
Since you specifically rule out Graphing calculators, you are left with only two options for NEW calculators. The first is an Hp 35s. It has 32 K of ram and can operate in both RPN and algebraic (EOS) mode. It is crippled by design without I/O and naming limitations for variables. $50-60 retail.

Possibly a better calculator for your needs, might be an Hp 17Bii+ (or an older Hp 17Bii). The newer model has 32 K of RAM with long variable names (no real file structure, but you can insert equations where you want in a long list of equations as you create). Does NOT have trig or extensive functions, as it is a business/finance calculator. Older model only has 7 K RAM (still probably more than you would need) with a better solver. The solver is very versatile and could easily compensate for the lack of math functions. ie you create the functions you need. Also has selectable RPN/algebraic (chain logic) mode $80-90 retail. An older Hp 17Bii is about half the cost of new and is made of better quality.

You might find an older Casio 5000 or 6000 fx that might also meet your needs.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are the main factors to consider when buying a calculator with huge memory?

The main factors to consider are the amount of memory, the type of memory (RAM or Flash), the processing speed, and the price. You should also consider the purpose of your calculations and any additional features that may be useful.

2. How much memory do I need in a calculator for my specific needs?

The amount of memory you need depends on the complexity of your calculations and the data you need to store. For basic calculations, a calculator with 1-2 MB of memory should suffice. However, for more advanced calculations and data storage, you may need a calculator with 4-8 MB or more.

3. Is there a specific brand that offers calculators with huge memory?

There are many brands that offer calculators with huge memory, such as Texas Instruments, Casio, HP, and Sharp. It's important to research and compare different brands to find the one that best fits your needs and budget.

4. What is the difference between RAM and Flash memory in a calculator?

RAM (Random Access Memory) is temporary memory that is used for running programs and storing data while the calculator is turned on. Flash memory, on the other hand, is non-volatile memory that can store data even when the calculator is turned off. It is typically used for storing programs and data that you want to keep for a longer period of time.

5. Are calculators with huge memory more expensive than regular calculators?

Calculators with huge memory may be more expensive than regular calculators, but it ultimately depends on the brand, features, and amount of memory. It's important to consider your budget and the features you need when making a decision. You may also be able to find deals or discounts on certain calculators with large memory.