Do graphing calculators still make sense?

In summary, a computer is faster, easier to use, has more features, and is aesthetically pleasing. A calculator is still useful for specific tasks, but a computer is better for most purposes.
medwatt
Hello,
I lost my HP50g calculator a week ago and have ever since been contemplating whether buying another graphing calculator makes sense. Given that most of these graphing calculators are not allowed anywhere near exam halls, I have long since stationed my calculator home. Having started using Mathematica/Matlab, I haven't really found much to do with my calculator simply because with a computer:
1. Its way faster using a computer
2. Easily write/edit programs
3. Plot, analyse, manipulate . . . at ease
4. Aesthetically pleasing
5. You just can't compare a computer to a calculator
Computers have come a long way since the 70s and so it's baffling why calculator technology didn't follow suit and instead seems to be going at a very unhurried pace. Calculators made in the 70s don't look much different to those made presently.
So, I wonder what others are using graphing calculators for nowadays ? Is it because:
1. Portability: Granted, calculators are portable but you can just get any android tablet and run one of the many available mathematical software.
2. Price: Mathematica and Matlab are expensive but there are myriad alternatives. If price is of concern, Octave is just as good.
I'd really be happy to read if anyone believes that graphing calculators still have a place in our present day. Graphing calculators are synonymous to some of our great ancestors, the great apes, who apparently refused to leave the wilderness to evolve and as such seem utterly hopeless when compared to their super-evolved litter brothers, the computer.
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Depends on what you study. In engineering I could see it nice to pull out a calculator without having to go to your computer. But maybe a $10 scientific calculator would work better.

I study mathematics and thus have no need for numbers. :)

Whether or not it makes sense to buy a graphing calculator depends on your specific needs and circumstances. Here are some factors to consider:

1. Educational Requirements: If you're a student and your school or university requires a specific graphing calculator for your coursework or exams, then it may be necessary to purchase one. Be sure to check with your educational institution to see if they have any specific requirements.
  2. Features Needed: Graphing calculators are capable of performing various mathematical functions, including graphing equations, solving equations, and more. Consider the features you need for your coursework or personal use. If you require advanced graphing capabilities or specific functions that a basic calculator can't provide, a graphing calculator may be a good choice.
  3. Cost: Graphing calculators can be more expensive than basic scientific calculators or smartphone apps that offer similar functionality. Consider your budget and whether the investment is justified based on your needs.
  4. Long-Term Use: Graphing calculators are durable and have a long lifespan. If you anticipate using one for several years or through multiple academic courses, the initial investment may be worthwhile.
  5. Alternatives: There are graphing calculator apps available for smartphones and tablets that can provide many of the same functions. If you have a compatible device and don't require the physical calculator, this could be a cost-effective alternative.
  6. Ease of Use: Some people prefer the physical interface of a graphing calculator over touchscreen devices or computer software. If you find a physical calculator more comfortable and efficient, it may be a good choice.
In summary, graphing calculators can still make sense to buy depending on your specific needs and preferences. Consider your educational requirements, budget, and the features you need to determine if a graphing calculator is the right choice for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DocZaius
johnqwertyful said:
Depends on what you study. In engineering I could see it nice to pull out a calculator without having to go to your computer. But maybe a $10 scientific calculator would work better.

Thats one of the advantages of mathematics !

Add to that fact that there are pretty good apps for smartphones/tablets that work just like a calculator, plus - at least as long as you have access to the web - you can use wolfram alpha.

IMHO graphing calculators are a dying breed.

Borek said:
Add to that fact that there are pretty good apps for smartphones/tablets that work just like a calculator, plus - at least as long as you have access to the web - you can use wolfram alpha.

I love Wolfram alpha, I talk to it the same way Einstein probably talked to Besso. You can have a conversation with it and it gives you what you are looking for (most of the time). Calculators are picky.

They are long past their expiration date. Its unfortunate that some early math classes require them of students for ridiculously expensive prices. I'm not prone to conspiracy, but it smells like a racket... A small scientific calculator for arithmetic and your laptop with google and mathematica or mat-lab/sci-lab is much better.

johnqwertyful said:
In engineering I could see it nice to pull out a calculator without having to go to your computer. But maybe a $10 scientific calculator would work better.
Yup, one of the "joys of engineering" in the real world is when a dreary all-day review meeting grinds to a halt when somebody questions a number in a presentation, and a few senior managers get out their calculators and try to agree what the right number should be. Everybody else gets a 10 minute break while they fight between themselves :smile:

1996.png

[Source: http://xkcd.com/768/. With mouseover, "College Board issues aside, I have fond memories of TI-BASIC, writing in it a 3D graphing engine and a stock market analyzer. With enough patience, I could make anything ... but friends. (Although with my chatterbot experiments, I certainly tried.)"]

Last edited:
I think the cartoon isn't quite right. There were some pretty creative bits of math invented to get a puny little 4-bit microprocessor chip to function as a scientific calculator. My theory: there's only one engineer left who still understands how they worked, so nobody knows how to design an upgrade.

This one escaped from the cage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

Buttons. That is why I still use a calculator. I have several apps on my phone, I have a computer on my desk, but if I need to crunch a few numbers (and I don't need to document my results), I reach for my calculator. I don't like to wait for boot up (of course, the PC is always on), but I can crank out some Rough Order of Magnitude values without having to set up a spread sheet. Especially if I am reviewing someone else's numbers.

For the typical student, he/she should own at least one calculator. Does it need to be a graphing calculator, not really. A good $10-20 pocket calculator is probably enough for the typical student ($20+ for the engineering student). There are plenty of low cost computing alternatives to negate the advantage of the high cost graphing calculators. However, the cost of a high end graphing calculator isn't much in comparison to all the other costs of college either. And they can help with some of the more advanced math when you don't lug around a laptop or tablet.

johnqwertyful said:

I think I disagree with this. In engineering you'll be relying on MATLAB for anything that requires any sort of in-depth computing, and a graphing calculator is overkill for doing quick computations, which is 90% of what you'll be using it for. It might be convenient to have a programmable graphing calculator, but then again, a laptop with MATLAB will do much more for you and be just as portable.

Because of that, I have a TI-36x Pro that I use constantly while the last thing I used my TI-89 Titanium for was a Gameboy emulator. Especially given that my university has been moving towards a "calculator neutral" policy on exams (professors have no way of knowing for sure which students have access to which functions and software, and students can program them to cheat).

In my experience mathematica and google's calculator program and even using fortran or similar programs to do quick calculations has made graphic calculators of any kind totally obsolete. With programming being what it is most languages allow you to write codes that can quickly to many calculations with one command, thereby avoiding the hassle of keeping track of what you push on a graphing calculator (I still have the scars from trying to do calculus and trig on those things). It has literally been over 6 years since I have ever pushed a single button on a graphing calculator. That said, everyone's mileage is going to vary. But if something like Mathematica, Maple or Matlab can't give you the results you need, the chances a graphing calculator will get it done are extremely slim to none even if it is the very latest make/version.

Even though we have resuscitated this thread I will mention that with an android phone you can download Maxima for free. It's a CAS similar to Mathematica.
Then you also have a rom for the TI-89 from the texas instrument's website, for free too.
If you buy a raspberry pi (35 dollars I think) 1 or 2, they offer Mathematica 10 for free.

Portability is not a problem anymore. You can just download graph calculator apps on your ipad or you can use the desmos online graphing calculator.
And some tablet devices are very cheap(but lack performance) so graphing calculators are out of date..:frown: (I have never used one).

I want to spend just a bit for calculators: I currently use my smartphone for computations and I use a calculatore rarely, but I sometimes use it for non trivial computations as the four basic operations (apart from complex integrals or complex graphing) because:
1) I don't have to worry about not grazing the surface of the smartphone, I hate the idea that I leave it there and something/someone grazes it and all my computations goes away
2) The calculator battery lasts longer at the same device' portability.
3) Sometimes the "touch" doesn't work on my smartphone or I can't touch exactly the symbol I wanted, without using a touch pen.
4) I trust a calculator dedicated program more than a sofisticated smartphone software.

Hoping not to be considered as a dinosaur :-)

--
lightarrow

I still use mine, but mostly only for numerical calculations and a bit of graphing. I'm a physics/math double major, so I tend to use it a lot. So far I haven't had any classes that haven't allowed them. The only exception was in calculus I when we were first learning how to graph equations using calculus. The professor didn't allow us to use graphing calculators on the one exam, but he allowed them for the rest of the semester.

The newer TI-84C has a higher resolution color display. It's a big improvement over the older TI-84. The Nspire calculators are nice, but I don't really have a need for symbolic manipulation or anything like that.

Well i carry my calculator around a lot of places, they make trivial tasks nice, ie I don't do algebra mentally anymore because of the "solve equation" button. also it is useful to see a graph if you don't have a fancy phone.

Borek said:

Evan Maxwell said:
In my experience mathematica and google's calculator program and even using fortran or similar programs to do quick calculations has made graphic calculators of any kind totally obsolete. ...

R u guys aware of the power of new-generation CAS graphing calculators to solve ODEs (symbolically), find eigenvalues/eigenvectors and symbolic differentiation+integration, etc, etc? It may be a while since you last used a graphing calculator and hence the negativity towards them...

ttt2016 said:
R u guys aware of the power of new-generation CAS graphing calculators to solve ODEs (symbolically), find eigenvalues/eigenvectors and symbolic differentiation+integration, etc, etc? It may be a while since you last used a graphing calculator and hence the negativity towards them...

Please don't use textspeak, it is against the forum rules.

I can have it all on a tablet or a smartphone that I already have in my pocket, why should I carry another device?

I never really got into using graphing calculators for normal work. I've always preferred Excel or other math applications on my Mac. The only times I've used graphing calculators extensively (TI-9x series specifically) was in teaching certain intro physics labs which required students to use the graphing feature as part of the analysis.

For plain numeric calculations, I still use my old HP-11C even though I have an app on my iPhone 5s that emulates one very well. I find it easier to enter numbers and operations quickly on the calculator because of the tactile cues from the shape of the buttons and having to press them. On the phone, I have to pay closer attention because the smooth surface makes it easier to miss a button.

No, there is nothing a TI-89 can do that an iPhone with the right apps can do. Those TI calculators have simply become institutionalized so teachers keep using them, despite them being aging technology when I was in high school 15 years ago. Dedicated calculators are simply so that students can't cheat on tests by using their phone for something other than a calculator.

newjerseyrunner said:
No, there is nothing a TI-89 can do that an iPhone with the right apps can do.
What if the iPhone has the wrong apps installed? Can it match the TI-89 then?
:oldbiggrin:

Likes newjerseyrunner
Mark44 said:
What if the iPhone has the wrong apps installed? Can it match the TI-89 then?
:oldbiggrin:
OP: I have on old Wright Flyer, will a Bowing 747 also allow me to fly?
Me: Yes, a 747 can do anything your Wright Flyer can do and then some.
@Mark44: What if you don't put the wings on the 747? Wouldn't the Wright Flyer be better?
Me: ...
tumblr_inline_nv259bEZ9d1ts5pgm_250.jpg

Likes CalcNerd
newjerseyrunner said:
can do

You seem to have missed Mark44's typo humor.

BoB

I don't really even like using my phone that much. I guess I just bought my current phone because my old one got destroyed.

I have small hand size and the samsung s6 is a slick and thin and relatively large phone. I can't easily type messages one handed. Usually I would type messaages two handed and keeping the phone sideways.
Two handed typing sideways is a must for me because I can't reach the buttons and keep the phone stable at the same time in any other way I think.

And for some reason there are lot of misclicks when I type with the phone using the thumb to press buttons. Using a table for support and typing with forefingers is easier

real-life buttons are more pleasant and effective to use with a graphing calculator compared to a small touchscreen, which causes misclicks (typos) for me (quite a bit)

For me the problem is often with the thumb not "pressing the correct key" on the touchscreen, but rather the key next to it.

1. Do graphing calculators still have a place in the age of smartphones and computers?

While it may seem like smartphones and computers have made traditional graphing calculators obsolete, there are still many reasons why they are useful and relevant. For one, graphing calculators are allowed on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT, while smartphones and computers are not. Additionally, graphing calculators are specifically designed for mathematical and scientific calculations, making them more efficient and accurate for these functions.

2. What features make graphing calculators unique and necessary?

Graphing calculators have several features that set them apart from other devices. These include the ability to graph equations and functions, perform complex calculations and statistical analyses, and store and recall data. They also have a long battery life and are durable, making them useful in various settings such as classrooms and laboratories.

3. Are graphing calculators still relevant in the age of online graphing tools?

While there are many online graphing tools available, graphing calculators offer several advantages. They are portable and do not require an internet connection, making them more convenient for use in different settings. They also have a longer lifespan and do not require frequent updates or subscriptions like online tools.

4. How have graphing calculators evolved over the years?

Graphing calculators have evolved significantly since their introduction in the 1980s. They have become more powerful, with increased memory and processing capabilities, allowing for more complex calculations and graphing. They have also become more user-friendly, with improved interfaces and added features such as color screens and touchscreens.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of using graphing calculators?

One potential drawback of using graphing calculators is their cost, as they can be more expensive than other devices. They may also have a learning curve for those who are not familiar with their functions and features. Additionally, some argue that reliance on graphing calculators may hinder students from developing their mental math skills. However, when used properly, graphing calculators can be a valuable tool for learning and problem-solving in mathematics and science.