Can A Black Hole End The Universe?

In summary: Originally posted by lavalampGravity is the only force that has the potential to pull something in from the outside. If the entire universe were to collapse into a black hole, the force of gravity would be enough to drag everything in. However, this process would take a finite amount of time, and we would eventually reach the point where the black hole's event horizon would consume us.
HIGHLYTOXIC
CAN IT BE POSSIBLE THAT A SUPER GIANT AND MASSIVE BLACK HOLE END THE UNIVERSE?

WHAT IF WE DISCOVER ONE SUCH BLACK HOLE IN OUR GALAXY?

Space news on Phys.org
Originally posted by HIGHLYTOXIC

WHAT IF WE DISCOVER ONE SUCH BLACK HOLE IN OUR GALAXY?

Why should a super-giant and a super-massive black hole (I assume you mean super-massive as all black holes are massive i.e. they have mass)the universe? That said I wouldn't like to be anywhere near a supergiant being swallowed by a black hole as the radiation from the accretion disc might well turn it into an active galatic nuclei.

Incidentaly it is strongly believed that there is a supermassive black hole (about 400 million solar masses from the most recent estimates)at the centre of our galaxy, though it is not (currently at least) an active galactic nuclei.

if we all (the universe) got swallowed up by a black hole at the same time, we'd never know, and OUR universe would last forever.

We would know about it, as we got drawn towards it, first we wound notice the destruction that it would be causing around it.
Then we'd go into a decaying orbit around the hole (along with our sun).
Then the world would be ripped apart from the immense force of gravity acting on the Earth and at the same time we would be hit by many bits of other galactic mass (planets, meteors etc.), we'd probably have been dead for a while by now.
Then, finally, once we'd been stretched out into long thin spaghetti, we'd be atomised, pass the event horizon and for what would seem to be an infinite amount of time we would fall towards the singularity.

So yes, in one respect the universe would last forever, however I think that we would know what hit us a while before it did. If a black hole did approach our solar system, we'd notice it's effect on the palnets and the sun long before it got here.
On the plus side, we'd be able to take all sorts of measurements about it's gravitational field strength, the diameter of the event horizon and all sorts of other stuff that I don't even know about yet.

here's a sci fi thought let's say the more universe evolve with the speed of light or with some speed near the spead of light and we know that the mass increases while you increase the velocity (thus the body [the universe] tries to stop moving in this speed) the slow in the speed is due to the creation within the universe of a black hole that tries to stop the universe itself from speed up and to bring it back to the beginning when there was nothing no time.
now let's say this black hole has begun its process not at the same time of the big bang but at Planck time this way the black hole can never swallow the entire universe unless a mysterious energy will increase it's volume.

be gentle with me :wink: it's crap but an innovative crap

According to Newton, a body will continue to travel at a constant speed or stay at rest, unless an external force acts on it. There are a maximum of four forces acting on a body at anyone time. The strong and weak nuclear force, the electro-static force and gravity. I don't see any reason for the universe to create a black hole out of spite, just to try and stop things moving.

Back to the question...

NO.

Why? Because contrary to popular opinion, something turning into a black hole has almost no effect on it's gravitational attraction at longer distances. And we know that currently, all the mass in the universe is insufficient to counter the expansive force of "dark energy", which is in fact accelerating the expansion of the universe. This means that even if all the mass in the entire universe collapsed into a singularity, it will not be enough to pull it all back in. Besides, in such a case we would have far more pressing matters to worry about... :wink:

If I remember correctly, of course.

Originally posted by TonySlim
if we all (the universe) got swallowed up by a black hole at the same time, we'd never know, and OUR universe would last forever.

That is incorrect; from our point of view we would meet the singularity in a finite period of time.

Originally posted by lavalamp
the electro-static force and gravity. I don't see any reason for the universe to create a black hole out of spite, just to try and stop things moving.
it's the electromagnet force.

1. Can a black hole really end the universe?

There is currently no evidence that suggests a black hole can end the entire universe. While black holes are incredibly powerful and can have a significant impact on their surrounding environment, they do not possess the ability to destroy the entire universe.

2. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity. As the star's core collapses, it becomes incredibly dense and its gravitational pull becomes so strong that not even light can escape, creating a black hole.

3. Can a black hole swallow the Earth?

No, a black hole cannot swallow the Earth. The Earth would need to be significantly smaller and closer to the black hole in order for this to occur. The closest black hole to Earth is about 1,600 light years away, making it impossible for it to have any direct impact on our planet.

4. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for objects that are being pulled into a black hole. Once an object crosses the event horizon, it will be pulled into the black hole and cannot escape. This is due to the intense gravitational pull of the black hole.

5. Can a black hole die?

While black holes do not technically "die," they can slowly dissipate over time through a process called Hawking radiation. This occurs when particles near the event horizon of a black hole become separated, with one falling into the black hole and the other escaping into space. This results in a net loss of mass for the black hole, causing it to eventually evaporate.