Destruction of our universe through collision with parallel

In summary: However, there is no evidence that any bubble universes have collided with each other and the idea is still just speculation.
gmoney
I was just thinking if big bangs in other universes are created by collision of other universes and merging then splitting apart, I was thinking, could be possible that our universe could just suddenly be destroyed by our universe colliding with a one of our parallel universe in a sea of other bubbles. So at anytime our existence could just be voided as another big bang is created from the merger of our universe with another. Just a thought, would like clearing up.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm

I do not believe they can destroy each other by bumping and such. Think of each one as a different cell in your body expanding, bumping, createing new ones. They are very similar. Just as once cell doesn't combine with another when they bump, there isn't any threat of this. Each cell contains it's whole part, and that part isn't affected by such common daily activities.

On page 223 of Parallel Worlds, Michio Kaku gives some insight into this part of the theory:
The force of the collision pushes the two universes apart. As these two membranes separate from each other, they cool rapidly, giving us the universe we see today... But gravity continues to attract the two membranes, until, trillions of years later, they collide once again, and the cycle repeats all over again.
(This also means that there are possibly other membranes floating out there in hyperspace that may collide with ours in the future, creating another big splat. Given the fact that our universe is accelerating, another collision may in fact be likely. Steinhardt adds, "Maybe the acceleration of the expansion of the universe is a precursor of such a collision. It is not a pleasant thought.")
I think that it would be reasonable to conclude from this picture that if membranes collided with each other, the repercussions would be felt all throughout the universe in a generally unwelcome manner. Although bubbles don't merge with each other, perhaps bubble membranes of this magnitude do create negative effects (i.e., massive heat explosion from the collision) within themselves. Cells are certainly not the same as bubble universes.

I don't even believe in parallel universes. How can it be proven? Can we get there? Is it tangible?(you know what I mean. Can we get there and live in it?) Until we can prove that there are parallel universes, I would stop worrying about us all dying in the blink of an eye. That's not how this is going to throw down.

Some people believe in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics because they have convinced themselves that it is the only rational way to deal with the problems of "the collapse of the wave function" aka the projection postulate. Whether many-worlds approach is a rational response is something reasonable people can differ on.

As for any other multiverse idea, including infinitely many inequivalent string theory vacua, there isn't even that much reason to believe it.

The parallel universe theory is the only thing that can explain why our part of the universe is so finely tuned as to allow intelligent life to exist even though there is no direct evidence. According to recent speculation gravity can be felt between membranes and therefore large masses from adjacent membranes could have unpleasant results.

1. What is the theory behind the destruction of our universe through collision with parallel universes?

The theory suggests that our universe may be one of many parallel universes existing simultaneously, and that these universes may occasionally collide with each other, resulting in the destruction of both universes.

2. How likely is it that our universe will be destroyed by a collision with a parallel universe?

The likelihood of our universe being destroyed by a collision with a parallel universe is currently unknown. This theory is still just a hypothesis and there is no evidence to support it.

3. What would happen if our universe did collide with a parallel universe?

If our universe did collide with a parallel universe, it is believed that it would result in massive destruction and chaos as the laws of physics and the fabric of space-time would be disrupted.

4. Is there any way to prevent our universe from being destroyed by a collision with a parallel universe?

There is currently no known way to prevent a collision with a parallel universe, as it is still just a theoretical concept. However, scientists continue to study and research this topic in hopes of gaining a better understanding of the universe and its potential fate.

5. Are there any observable signs of a potential collision with a parallel universe?

There are currently no observable signs of a potential collision with a parallel universe. However, some scientists theorize that if a collision were to occur, it may leave behind traces of gravitational waves or other anomalies that could potentially be detected by advanced technology.