Need help about a choice I have to make

• Thread starter wisredz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the speaker is struggling to decide between studying natural sciences or electrical engineering for university. While their heart lies with natural sciences, they are concerned about job opportunities in their home country of Turkey. They are also considering the option of studying electrical engineering and potentially combining it with their love for math or physics. The speaker is seeking advice on how to make this difficult decision, with the understanding that people are generally happier when they pursue their passions, even if it may not lead to a high paying job.
wisredz
Hello there,
The tests for university is fast approaching, but I cannot make my mind up which way to go. Even now, I study calculus and some physics, and each time I start studying I feel awestruck, I totally adore natural sciences. But there remains a problem. Here in Turkey, being a scientist doesn't give you a comfortable life, there are no job opportunities unless you are very successful. I am sure I can be really successful, there still remains the slight chance that I will not find a job, if I study natural sciences. My plan about this is to get into math department, and then take physics with it. I believe I can do this. But for the reasons I have explained I have some questions in my mind. Those questions are related only and only to job opportunities and nothing else.
On the other hand, I can get take electrical engineering. But I really am not enthusiastic about that. I can be successful there as well, and I could take either math or physics with it. As soon as I graduate from university I can find a good job etc. But something really disturbs me. I don't know the situation for other countries, but here in Turkey you do not do electrical engineering after you graduate. You begin as a director or something like that and get higher positions in your corporation with time. That is sometihng that I really do not like about it.
Here is my problem. As I said my heart lies with natural sciences but that would bring with it the need to go to foreign country, like States. But I really would like to make some academic career.
Any help about this hard choice to make is highly appreciated...

Cheers,
Can

Physics news on Phys.org
in general people are happier doing what they love, even if it pays less.

secondly, sometimes people can combine what they love with a job that pays more. For example here in the US the medical field usually pays a little better than the academic field.

But it is possible to be an engineer and specialize say in fluid flow as applied to blood flow in the human body, and thus tap into the research money available for medical sciences.

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this difficult decision. It sounds like you have a strong passion for natural sciences, but are worried about the job opportunities in Turkey. On the other hand, you are not as enthusiastic about studying electrical engineering, but it may provide more job opportunities in your country.

Firstly, it's important to remember that your career path is not set in stone. Just because you study one subject in university, it doesn't mean you have to stick to that field for the rest of your life. Many people change careers and industries throughout their lives, and having a strong foundation in a subject like natural sciences can open up opportunities in various fields. It's also important to consider the fact that the job market is constantly changing, so the job opportunities for scientists in Turkey may improve in the future.

If your heart truly lies with natural sciences and you have a strong passion for it, then I would encourage you to pursue that path. It may require you to go to a foreign country for job opportunities, but with dedication and hard work, you can achieve success. Additionally, if you are interested in an academic career, studying natural sciences would be the best option for you.

However, if you are not as passionate about electrical engineering, it may not be the best choice for you in the long run. It's important to choose a career path that you will enjoy and be fulfilled in, rather than just choosing one for job security.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. Consider your passions and long-term goals, as well as the current job market in Turkey. You could also speak to professionals in both fields and get their insights and advice. Remember, whichever path you choose, there will always be challenges and opportunities, and it's important to choose one that aligns with your values and interests.

I wish you all the best in making this decision and I have no doubt that you will be successful in whichever path you choose.

1. What factors should I consider when making a difficult decision?

When making a difficult decision, it is important to consider the potential consequences, the values and beliefs that are important to you, the opinions and advice of trusted individuals, and the potential long-term effects of your choice.

2. How can I overcome indecisiveness when making a choice?

To overcome indecisiveness, it can be helpful to gather all the necessary information, make a pros and cons list, visualize the potential outcomes, and trust your instincts. It may also be helpful to set a deadline for making a decision to avoid prolonged indecision.

3. What are some strategies for making a decision when both options seem equally appealing?

In situations where both options seem equally appealing, it can be helpful to prioritize your values and goals, consider the potential long-term effects of each choice, and seek advice from others who have faced similar decisions. You may also want to consider flipping a coin to help you make a decision, as this can help reveal your true preferences.

4. How do I know if I am making the right decision?

There is no guaranteed way to know if you are making the right decision, as every choice comes with its own set of risks and uncertainties. However, you can gain confidence in your decision by carefully considering all the factors, trusting your instincts, and being prepared to adapt and adjust if necessary.

5. What should I do if I regret a decision I made?

If you regret a decision you made, it is important to acknowledge and accept your feelings, but also remember that every decision is an opportunity to learn and grow. You can reflect on what factors influenced your decision and use that knowledge to make more informed choices in the future.