Does the self-diffusion of H2O18 differ from HDO in groundwater?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the self-diffusion coefficients of different isotopes of water and the factors that may affect their diffusion rates. The conversation also touches on the diffusion of ethanol in water and the factors that influence it. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of diffusion in aqueous solutions and the need for further research in this area.
jean
[SOLVED] self diffusion of water

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand- or point in the right direction about a question I have concerning the self diffusion coefficients of HDO vs H2O18. To calculate the effective diffusion coefficients of isotopes of water in groundwater most people use the self-diffusion coefficients in Wang, Robinson and Edelman 1952 in which H2O18>HDO and HTO. I've found more recent references but they compare the diffusion coefficients of D2O and H2O18- I can't seem to find any mention of HDO. So, I guess my questions is; would you expect H2O18 to diffuse faster than HDO?
Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm, that;s a good question. H2O18 is heavier than HDO, so in that aspect I would expect to to diffuse more slowly. Furthermore, you can get deuterium exchange, which is quite fast, and one could think it would move faster than the oxygen in the original HDO. I really don't know.

Intuitively, one bets the month's rent & grocery money on HDO or D2O --- and winds up living under a bridge hungry. What's going on? Autoionization allows O and H/D/T species to diffuse almost independently of each other in water --- "but, that means the lighter species are moving more slowly?" Nope --- cationic species in aqueous solution are very heavily solvated --- if one wishes to apply the various models to calculate/predict diffusion coefficients for H+ (or D, or T) it is necessary to include a solvation mass, which is going to be somewhere between four and six waters, if memory serves --- much heavier than the wandering O18H-, which is essentially unsolvated (charge delocalization leaves no real attractive center for solvation).

Had you simply asked which is faster without explaining what perplexed you, I woulda said HDO --- having to think about what let's O18 move faster, I can explain it --- perhaps not correctly, but, methinks this is what you're seeing --- probably more a matter of retardation of H, D, T for whatever fraction of time they spend in the ionized state than anything else.

The self-diffusion coefficient of water has a large drop as the concentration of ethanol increases from 0 to 0.3 and then it nearly keeps constant,while that of ethanol has a minimum around ethanol mole fraction of 0.5.The mutual diffusion coefficient could be divided into two parts,the kinematic factor and the thermodynamic factor.Both the kinematic and thermodynamic factors for ethanol-water mixtures were calculated.It was found that both the numbers of H bonds per water and per ethanol decrease as the mole fraction of ethanol increases. The composition dependences and the relationships between the self-and the mutual diffusion coefficients were further discussed.

1. What is self diffusion of water?

Self diffusion of water is the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration without the influence of external forces, such as a concentration gradient or pressure.

2. How does self diffusion of water occur?

Self diffusion of water occurs due to the random motion of water molecules, known as Brownian motion. As water molecules move, they collide with each other, causing them to spread out and move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration.

3. What factors affect the rate of self diffusion of water?

The rate of self diffusion of water is affected by temperature, as higher temperatures increase the kinetic energy of water molecules, making them move faster and diffuse more quickly. The presence of solutes can also affect diffusion, as water molecules will diffuse towards areas of lower solute concentration.

4. How is self diffusion of water important in biological systems?

In biological systems, self diffusion of water is essential for maintaining homeostasis. It allows for the transport of nutrients and waste products within cells and between cells and their surroundings. It also plays a role in osmosis, the movement of water across a semi-permeable membrane to balance concentrations.

5. Can self diffusion of water be observed in everyday life?

Yes, self diffusion of water can be observed in everyday life. For example, when adding a drop of food coloring to a glass of water, the food coloring will gradually diffuse throughout the water, resulting in a uniform color. Another example is the diffusion of water vapor in the air, which can be seen as fog or mist on a cold day.