Projectile Motion (Displacement and Velocity vector)

In summary, Given a projectile fired at 50 m/s and 60 degrees, the velocity and displacement vectors at t = 1.0 seconds are:- velocity: 33.5 m/s- displacement: 38.4 meters
SS2006
hey guys, i have this question I am diong, i got allt he answers but there's one prob

Question:

A projectile is fired at 50 m/s and 60 degrees along a level surface.

a) Find the velocity and displacement VECTORS at t = 1.0 s

i used v2 = v1 + at
v2 = 43.3 + (-9.8) (1)
v2 = 33.5 m/s
thats the velocity at 1 second

now displacement i used
d = v1t + 1/2 at squared
i got y = 43.3 (1) + 1/2 -10 (1) squared
to get
displacement = 38.4 meters

ofcourse the y velocity i got it from : 50 sin 60 = 43.3 m/s and x velocity 50cos60 = 25 m/s as you know

but teh teacer said those aer right numbers but he ased for VECTORS so he wants 33.5 and an angle beside it i assume, i am lost now, i need help finding the displacement and velocity VECTORS :D
thanks guys!

---
i posted this in the other forum too , didnt know which ones more right lol thanks, but need it soon

Physics news on Phys.org
SS2006 said:
a) Find the velocity and displacement VECTORS at t = 1.0 s

i used v2 = v1 + at
v2 = 43.3 + (-9.8) (1)
v2 = 33.5 m/s
thats the velocity at 1 second
That's just the y-component of the velocity. You need to combine this with the x-component to get the correct velocity vector.

Similar comments apply for displacement.

ok that's what i don't know how to do :( can you give me instructions, thanks brother :)

actually i think i get it

got the answers :)

just checking

33.5 and 64.6 degrees for velocity

displacement is 38.4 and 58.4 degree

SS2006 said:
just checking

33.5 and 64.6 degrees for velocity
No. As I said before, the 33.5 is just the y-component of the velocity. What's the x-component? What's the magnitude? What's the angle of the velocity vector?

i just said 64.6 degrees :D
so
33.5 m/s then there's that angle thingy and i put 64.6 degrees in it
right

Answer the questions in my last post.

Doc Al said:
No. As I said before, the 33.5 is just the y-component of the velocity. What's the x-component? What's the magnitude? What's the angle of the velocity vector?
y comp: 33.5
x comp: 15.2
magnitude: you mean direction?
angle: 64.6 degrees

he said he wants the answer as a vector, can you please make this easier on me and tell me what the forma tof a vector is :D

os (x,y)?

or
33.5 then <64.6 degrees

or (x,y) then < 64.6 degrees

got to sleep soon and the asnwer is due 2morrow, thanks!

SS2006 said:
y comp: 33.5
OK
x comp: 15.2
No. [itex]v_x = 50 \cos (60)[/itex]
magnitude: you mean direction?
No, I mean magnitude. If you have the components, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude.
angle: 64.6 degrees
This is wrong since your x-comp is wrong.

he said he wants the answer as a vector, can you please make this easier on me and tell me what the forma tof a vector is :D
One way is to give a magnitude and a direction. (You can also express it as components, but I suggest magnitude and direction.)

Last edited:
isn't the X usually cos 60, not sin60?
also he wants it for the FIRST second, t = 1
so 50cos60 is initial, that's why i got 15, for t = 1 seconds

Last edited:
SS2006 said:
isn't the X usually cos 60, not sin60?
also he wants it for the FIRST second, t = 1
so 50cos60 is initial, that's why i got 15, for t = 1 seconds
You are right about [itex]v_x = 50 \cos (60)[/itex]--that's what I meant to write. But since [itex]\cos (60) = 0.5[/itex], [itex]v_x = 25[/itex], not 15.

true
i got 15 casue i did
v2 = v1 + at
so 25 - 10 (1) cause he wants 1 second
is 15, as the x displacement
did the same thing with Y and u said its correct
im confused :(

Only the vertical direction is accelerated (gravity acts down, not sideways). The horizontal speed remains constant.

goddd no wonder i got 9/10
'mechanical error'
lol i wish u told me yesteryda
thanks bro
case closed :D

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity, without any external forces acting on it.

2. What is the displacement vector in projectile motion?

The displacement vector in projectile motion is the straight line distance between the initial and final position of the object. It includes both the magnitude (distance) and direction of the object's movement.

3. How is velocity vector related to projectile motion?

The velocity vector in projectile motion is the rate of change of displacement. It includes both the speed and direction of the object's movement. The velocity vector is constantly changing in direction due to the influence of gravity.

4. What factors affect the displacement and velocity vectors in projectile motion?

The displacement and velocity vectors in projectile motion are affected by the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and other external forces may also affect these vectors.

5. How can the displacement and velocity vectors be calculated in projectile motion?

The displacement and velocity vectors in projectile motion can be calculated using equations derived from the principles of kinematics. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time elapsed to determine the displacement and velocity at any given point during the motion.