Why Does a Pebble Fly Off a Rolling Wheel if Its Speed Exceeds sqrt(Rg)?

• Thread starter asdf60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if the velocity of a wheel with radius R is greater than the square root of R times the acceleration due to gravity, a pebble placed at rest on top of the wheel will immediately fly off. This means that the wheel and pebble are moving together at the same speed, and the pebble will not stay on the wheel due to the high velocity. This can be demonstrated by graphing the motion of the pebble with respect to the ground, the wheel, and the ground, and seeing that the velocity at the top of the wheel is a function of R and g.
asdf60
Here is the question:

A wheel of radius R rolls along the ground with velocity V. A pebble is carefully released on top of the wheel so that it is instantaneously at rest on the wheel. Show that the pebble will immediately fly of the wheel if V > sqrt(Rg).

What does this mean. In particular, what does instantaneously at rest mean??

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that when the pebble is placed on the wheel, its speed is exactly the same as the speed of the top of the wheel. (So, with respect to the wheel, it's at rest.)

Like Doc Al says, it means that the wheel and pebble are happily in motion together. Carefully explore this problem. Remember that the velocity at the top of the wheel is not V.

also try to graph the motion of the pebble vs the ground, vs the wheel, and the wheel vs the ground. that's how my teacher started me to understand this problem. we did the problem with a meter stick and pennies, sliding off of a giant snowball...

what you are showing is that the velocity of the pebble is so high that the pebble doesn't say on the wheel at all, and that the velocity at this point can be characterized by the velocity of the center of the wheel relative to the ground, which is a function only of R and g.

1. Why is physics so difficult to understand?

Physics can be difficult to understand because it involves complex concepts and mathematical equations. It also requires a strong foundation in other subjects such as math and chemistry. However, with practice and patience, anyone can improve their understanding of physics.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems and actively engage in hands-on experiments. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, join a study group, and use online resources such as videos and interactive simulations.

3. Why do some physics questions seem counterintuitive?

Physics is often based on fundamental principles and laws that may seem counterintuitive to our everyday experiences. This is because our intuition is shaped by the macroscopic world, while physics deals with the microscopic world and phenomena that are not directly observable.

4. What should I do if a physics question doesn't make sense to me?

If a physics question doesn't make sense to you, try breaking it down into smaller parts and identifying the underlying concepts and equations. You can also ask a teacher or classmate for help, or do some research to gain a better understanding of the topic.

5. Is it normal to struggle with physics?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with physics. It is a complex subject that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace, and with dedication and hard work, you can overcome any challenges you may face in understanding physics.