Calculating Speed at Equator: 91.3kg Person

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a person's speed at the equator due to the Earth's rotation. The equations for centripetal force and gravitational force are set equal to each other and solved for velocity, resulting in a speed of 7914.584m/s. This speed is compared to the actual speed at the equator and it is determined that it is the speed needed to be thrown into space or enter Earth's orbit. The question is clarified and it is confirmed that the calculated speed is correct.
AdnamaLeigh
I thought I set up the equations correctly, but the speed I got seemed too fast.

An early objection to the idea that the Earth is spinning on its axis was that Earth would turn so fast at the equator that people would be thrown into space. Show the error in this logic by calculating the speed of a 91.3kg person at the equator.

I set the equations for centripetal force and gravitational force equal to each other:

(m2v^2)/r = (Gm1m2)/(r^2)

I set m1 = Earth's mass and m2 = person's mass

r was given: 6.37e6m
mass of earth: 5.98e24kg
G = 6.67259e-11

I solved for velocity and got 7914.584m/s and that seems too fast. I'm worried because they also provided the moon's radius in the givens, I hope I wasn't supposed to use that because I can't find any use for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct for the speed you would need to exceed in order to be thrown into space(or to be more precise, into Earth orbit). Now compare it to the actual speed at the equator.

I'm not sure what you're trying to calculate but it appears you calculated how fast a person near the equator would have to travel in order to "be in orbit" or to be weightless. The speed you calculated is correct. Did you notice how the mass of the person cancels from both sides of the equation?

The question is a little unclear and it appears to ask how fast a person standing at the equator moves -- due to the rotation of the Earth. In relation to the context given it would further seem you would have to compare that number with the one you calculated above.

1. What is the formula for calculating speed at the equator for a 91.3kg person?

The formula for calculating speed at the equator for a 91.3kg person is v = 2πr/T, where v is the speed in meters per second, r is the radius of the Earth in meters, and T is the time it takes for the Earth to complete one rotation on its axis (approximately 24 hours).

2. How does the weight of a person affect their speed at the equator?

The weight of a person does not affect their speed at the equator. The speed at the equator is determined by the Earth's rotation and the distance from the equator to the center of the Earth, not the weight of an individual.

3. Can you calculate the speed at the equator for a person of a different weight?

Yes, the formula for calculating speed at the equator is the same regardless of the person's weight. The only variable that changes is the mass of the Earth (which is negligible compared to the mass of a person), so the speed at the equator will be the same for any person regardless of their weight.

4. Is the speed at the equator constant throughout the year?

Yes, the speed at the equator remains constant throughout the year. The Earth's rotation and the distance from the equator to the center of the Earth do not change, so the speed at the equator will remain the same.

5. How does the speed at the equator compare to the speed at other latitudes?

The speed at the equator is faster than the speed at other latitudes. This is because the Earth is wider at the equator, so it has to travel a greater distance in the same amount of time to complete one rotation. This results in a higher linear speed at the equator compared to other latitudes.