Binomial Expansion: Calculating Constants \alpha and \beta

• Thread starter mezarashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the approximate values for the constants \alpha and \beta in the propagation coefficient of TEM waves in transmission lines. The binomial expansion method is used to approximate these values, with the third term being taken into consideration. The values of \alpha and \beta can also be solved algebraically, but the binomial approximation is a quicker method.
mezarashi
Homework Helper
Hello, another dull question on binomial expansion (approximation). I cannot follow the derivation for the approximate values of the two constants [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex].

(Text on propagation coefficient of TEM waves in transmission lines - constants of attenuation and phase-shift)

Given
[tex]\gamma = \alpha + j\beta = \sqrt{(R + j\omega L)(G + j\omega C)}[/tex]

Through "binomial expansion", taking the expansion to the third term.

[tex]\alpha \approx \frac{1}{2} (R\sqrt{\frac{C}{L}} + G\sqrt{\frac{L}{C}})[/tex]

[tex]\beta \approx \omega\sqrt{LC}(1 + \frac{1}{8\omega^2}(\frac{R}{L} - \frac{G}{C})^2)[/tex]

I know this is a messy one, so just a clue on what this is about would be great =D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If i were you, i'd square both members of the equality and solve it algebraically.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
If i were you, i'd square both members of the equality and solve it algebraically.
Daniel.

Yes, I've tried that on one occasion. It works if you want to express either alpha or beta in terms of the other. If you know either, then the problem becomes quite easily solvable. Apparently you aren't able to separate the variables. For example, from squaring both sides and equivalating the real portion, you would get.

[tex] \alpha = \sqrt{\frac{\alpha^2 + \beta^2 + (RG - \omega^2 LC)}{2}}[/tex]

Update: I've been able to solve for alpha and beta simultaneously using algebra. I'll be verifying them with the binomial approximation. In anycase, I'd still appreciate information on the approximation method. Thanks.

1. What is binomial expansion and how is it used?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical technique used to expand binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms. It is used to simplify and solve equations involving binomial expressions, allowing for quick and efficient calculations.

2. What are the constants alpha and beta in binomial expansion?

Alpha and beta are the constants used in the formula for binomial expansion, (a + b)^n = Σ(nCk)a^(n-k)b^k, where a and b are the terms of the binomial expression, n is the power or number of terms, and k is the term number. Alpha and beta represent the coefficients of the terms a^(n-k) and b^k, respectively.

3. How do you calculate the constants alpha and beta?

The formula for calculating alpha and beta in binomial expansion is (nCk)a^(n-k)b^k. This means taking the value of n, the power or number of terms, and plugging it into the combination formula (nCk) along with the term number k. The result is then multiplied by the coefficient of the term a (or b, for beta) raised to the appropriate power, depending on its position in the expansion.

4. Can binomial expansion be used for expressions with more than two terms?

No, binomial expansion is specifically used for binomial expressions with two terms. However, it can be extended to polynomials with more than two terms by using a technique called the Pascal's Triangle.

5. What is the significance of binomial expansion in mathematics and science?

Binomial expansion is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many applications in various fields of science, such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve complex equations and analyze data, making it an essential tool for researchers and scientists.