Are some people just naturally not likeable?

• Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
In summary: People may be more inclined to be friendly and engage in conversation when they perceive you to be someone that they are more comfortable with.
LightbulbSun
I'm sorry if this sounds like a self-pity thread as I don't want that to be its intent. However, I'm wondering if some of you think that some people are just perceived as naturally not likeable? When I refer to "people" I mean good-hearted people who give to others, and listen and try to help out other people for a good cause within their hearts. But sometimes these people come off the wrong way when trying to establish a connection and be sociable. They are preceived by some fabrication in another's mind that these are stalkers, rapists, mass killers, you name it. This leads to a false disposition left permanent on this person. This person is left in isolation. Definately not a favorable environment for social, mental and emotional growth. Is it just me or are some people just perceived as naturally not likeable under the premises of fear and misjudgments from others?

Physics news on Phys.org
LightbulbSun said:
When I refer to "people" I mean good-hearted people who give to others, and listen and try to help out other people for a good cause within their hearts. But sometimes these people come off the wrong way when trying to establish a connection and be sociable. They are preceived by some fabrication in another's mind that these are stalkers, rapists, mass killers, you name it.
I honestly can't think of a single instance where a "good hearted" person was misconstrued as being a stalker, rapist, mass killer, etc.. unless they were truly unhinged. To be labeled as such there must be something seriously wrong with their behavior. I mean that they have crossed some boundary of what is acceptable in normal society. People that do charitable work are not normally thought of as psychos.

Evo said:
I honestly can't think of a single instance where a "good hearted" person was misconstrued as being a stalker, rapist, mass killer, etc.. unless they were truly unhinged. To be labeled as such there must be something seriously wrong with their behavior. I mean that they have crossed some boundary of what is acceptable in normal society. People that do charitable work are not normally thought of as psychos.

I meant when they try connecting to people and become sociable is where the misconstruing lies. Not when they're acting in assistance for another.

I don't think anyone is truly not likeable, someone somewhere will like them. You can't expect everyone to like everyone and as you go through life some will like you some won't it works the same for everyone. If someone is trying to do good and others suspect their motives my suggestion is "back off" wait until they ask for help, don't try so hard, it is probably embarrassing them.

Certain personalities may clash, but I think there is no single personality with whom all others clash.

When other people perceive us in a way that we do not consider ourselves to be, we must do the following:

Change the way they see you, change the way they look at you. Don't change what you say or do, this is the part that you can't change, but you can change the way people look at you to be better in line with how you think of yourself.

When the action is appropriate, and the reaction is bad, change the perception.

Crosson said:
When other people perceive us in a way that we do not consider ourselves to be, we must do the following:

Change the way they see you, change the way they look at you. Don't change what you say or do, this is the part that you can't change, but you can change the way people look at you to be better in line with how you think of yourself.

Good advice.

Crosson said:

Amen!

It seems to me that there are some preconceptions that many people inadvertently have, even if they're not true.
I grew my hair out a bit a couple of years ago, and I noticed a little change in the way people interacted with me--it's almost like they perceived me to be a different "kind" of person. Last week I cut my hair short again and it might be too early to call, but I've already noticed a change in how people respond.

It's not the "norm" to have long hair, and people have "ideas" about what people with long hair are like. I guess it's a fact that often people judge you based on what you look like or your immediate behavior, and then if they get to know you a little better their perceptions will change.

Remember:
People (including yourself and myself) do NOT in general form judgments of others guided by strictly objective, rational criteria.

One reason for that is that just about any action can be interpreted as indicative of many personalities/motives, and only rarely suffice to discover the "true" personality or motive.

But, we judge NONETHELESS.
Hence, we are subconsciously using extraneous criteria in making up our minds about some individual.

For example:
Compare the discussion situations where in the one situation, a staggeringly handsome individual makes an objectively rather inane comment, and in the other situation, an ugly individual makes the very same comment.

We would be naive to think that the physical appearance of the speaker won't prime the others' judgment of them in different directions.
It is quite probable that the handsome guy will be regarded as "a charming, uncomplicated fellow", whereas the ugly one will be regarded as "an obnoxious idiot".

Sad, but true.

gabee said:
Amen!

It seems to me that there are some preconceptions that many people inadvertently have, even if they're not true.
I grew my hair out a bit a couple of years ago, and I noticed a little change in the way people interacted with me--it's almost like they perceived me to be a different "kind" of person. Last week I cut my hair short again and it might be too early to call, but I've already noticed a change in how people respond.

It's not the "norm" to have long hair, and people have "ideas" about what people with long hair are like. I guess it's a fact that often people judge you based on what you look like or your immediate behavior, and then if they get to know you a little better their perceptions will change.

Is there any chance your long hair influenced your own behavior which then altered people's response?

arildno said:
Remember:
People (including yourself and myself) do NOT in general form judgments of others guided by strictly objective, rational criteria.

One reason for that is that just about any action can be interpreted as indicative of many personalities/motives, and only rarely suffice to discover the "true" personality or motive.

But, we judge NONETHELESS.
Hence, we are subconsciously using extraneous criteria in making up our minds about some individual.

For example:
Compare the discussion situations where in the one situation, a staggeringly handsome individual makes an objectively rather inane comment, and in the other situation, an ugly individual makes the very same comment.

We would be naive to think that the physical appearance of the speaker won't prime the others' judgment of them in different directions.
It is quite probable that the handsome guy will be regarded as "a charming, uncomplicated fellow", whereas the ugly one will be regarded as "an obnoxious idiot".

Sad, but true.

Your example is a good example of when looks alter the reaction of a statement, an action or a joke. A good looking person has the room to make several bad jokes, while an ugly person will just receive dirty looks or be told to shut up.

LightbulbSun said:
I'm sorry if this sounds like a self-pity thread as I don't want that to be its intent. However, I'm wondering if some of you think that some people are just perceived as naturally not likeable? When I refer to "people" I mean good-hearted people who give to others, and listen and try to help out other people for a good cause within their hearts. But sometimes these people come off the wrong way when trying to establish a connection and be sociable. They are preceived by some fabrication in another's mind that these are stalkers, rapists, mass killers, you name it. This leads to a false disposition left permanent on this person. This person is left in isolation. Definately not a favorable environment for social, mental and emotional growth. Is it just me or are some people just perceived as naturally not likeable under the premises of fear and misjudgments from others?

It's possible that someone can give a false impressions, be very socially inept, or be unlucky enough to have a personality that most people find them annoying or boring. I think girls these days are very wary of men, especially men with unusual personalities and are quick to assume they are stalkers, rapists, etc. However, it's also possible for people to have a defective guidance system where they pursue friendships and relationships with people that don't have any interest in someone with their type of personality. For whatever reason, they lack interest in forming relationships to people they would be compatible with.

VonWeber said:
It's possible that someone can give a false impressions, be very socially inept, or be unlucky enough to have a personality that most people find them annoying or boring. I think girls these days are very wary of men, especially men with unusual personalities and are quick to assume they are stalkers, rapists, etc. However, it's also possible for people to have a defective guidance system where they pursue friendships and relationships with people that don't have any interest in someone with their type of personality. For whatever reason, they lack interest in forming relationships to people they would be compatible with.

Maybe I'm sugar coating too much? Appearance is also a big part of how we judge people. I would image that ugly people have a harder time as well.

Ugly and handsome are more about personality then looks. One way to demonstrate this is to see some convincingly cross-gendered folks i.e. male-female qualities are more about personality then looks!

-Job- said:
Is there any chance your long hair influenced your own behavior which then altered people's response?

I've thought about that, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I was expecting people to react in the same way, but suddenly everyone was FRIENDLIER! lol. It was an interesting result, since hair is a major part of your appearance that can be changed so easily.

VonWeber said:
Maybe I'm sugar coating too much? Appearance is also a big part of how we judge people. I would image that ugly people have a harder time as well.

That's true, I would speculate that people make their judgements based on appearance immediately, whereas making judgements based on personality to counter their first impression takes somewhat longer.

Last edited:
VonWeber said:
I think girls these days are very wary of men, especially men with unusual personalities and are quick to assume they are stalkers, rapists, etc.

There's a massive difference between someone with an unusual personality, and someone who's a stalker. I don't know what girls you know that would automatically presume that the former implies the latter, but in my experience, girls who have told me that guys they have met are "stalkers" have very valid reasons for thinking this! And as for labelling people with unusual personalities as "rapists"-- this just doesn't happen, unless, again, there is a valid reason!

cristo said:
There's a massive difference between someone with an unusual personality, and someone who's a stalker. I don't know what girls you know that would automatically presume that the former implies the latter, but in my experience, girls who have told me that guys they have met are "stalkers" have very valid reasons for thinking this! And as for labelling people with unusual personalities as "rapists"-- this just doesn't happen, unless, again, there is a valid reason!

Not necessairly. I've heard girls call guys "rapists" before from just the guy being really friendly with the girl, but has no intention of raping her.

VonWeber said:

I think a defective guidance system is a pretty reasonable explanation, however I don't think a female should be so cynical of a friendly male. That's just forming a stereotype.

There are too many shoulds here. I don't see much point in telling what a woman should or shouldn't do; if only each of us conducted ourselves as well as we presume to tell others how to conduct themselves, the world would be a vastly better place.

LightbulbSun said:
Not necessairly. I've heard girls call guys "rapists" before from just the guy being really friendly with the girl, but has no intention of raping her.

There aren't that many girls like this though. None of the girls I know well would ever do this-- they know how serious rape is!

No, in reality a person does not get called a rapist or a stalker unless they do something that portrays themselves as one. This does not include "being very friendly."

verty said:
I don't see much point in telling what a woman should or shouldn't do; if only each of us conducted ourselves as well as we presume to tell others how to conduct themselves, the world would be a vastly better place.

I agree!

verty said:
There are too many shoulds here. I don't see much point in telling what a woman should or shouldn't do; if only each of us conducted ourselves as well as we presume to tell others how to conduct themselves, the world would be a vastly better place.

But I can also make the point that stereotypes, especially fallacious ones shouldn't tell people what they should or shouldn't do. If this was the case then blacks would still be slaves.

But I can also make the point that stereotypes, especially fallacious ones shouldn't tell people what they should or shouldn't do. If this was the case then blacks would still be slaves.

So the stereotype tells blacks that they should be slaves, and it shouldn't do that? Wow.

Edit: Oh right, I think it was meant that stereotypes would disallow evolution, so it said nothing about present stereotypes.

Last edited:
cristo said:

Well I think girls tend to become wary of all men. They may not think he is a rapist or stalker for sure, but they will look for signs or anything that doesn't quite seem right. It's often better to be on your guard even if it means not giving someone the benefit of the doubt.

1. Why are some people naturally not likeable?

There is no one specific reason why some people may be perceived as less likeable than others. Factors such as personality traits, upbringing, and life experiences can all play a role in shaping how others perceive us.

2. Is being likeable something that can be learned or is it innate?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards being likeable, it is a skill that can also be learned and developed. By practicing good communication, empathy, and social skills, anyone can become more likeable.

3. Can someone change their level of likeability?

Yes, likeability is not a fixed trait and can change over time. People can work on improving their likeability by becoming more self-aware, understanding others' perspectives, and making an effort to connect with others.

4. Are there any benefits to being likeable?

Yes, being likeable can have numerous benefits, including better relationships, increased opportunities, and a more positive overall life experience. Likeable people tend to have stronger social support networks, which can also have positive effects on mental and physical health.

5. Can someone be likeable to some people but not to others?

Yes, likeability is subjective and can vary from person to person. While someone may be likeable to one group of people, they may not be as well-liked by another group. This can depend on individual personalities, values, and preferences.