Planck's oscillators and the energy assumption

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of E = h\nu and the quantization of energy in Planck's "oscillators in a box" calculations. The speaker is seeking resources to better understand these concepts, specifically asking for introductory QM books and texts on statistical physics. They mention not having access to certain texts and ask for an explanation on the internet. The conversation ends with a question about the validity of a specific online resource.
Saketh
First of all, why is [tex]E = h\nu[/tex]?

Second, where can I find the derivation behind Planck's "oscillators in a box" calculations that led to the assumption that energy is quantized?

I realize that my questions are a bit vague, but I cannot make them more specific as I do not have a firm grasp of the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any introductory QM book should have the answer to the first question. The second question follows from the first and is found in texts on statistical physics.

Dr Transport said:
Any introductory QM book should have the answer to the first question. The second question follows from the first and is found in texts on statistical physics.
The problem is that the only book I have access to is "Introduction to the Quantum Theory" by David Park. The first question is not answered in this book.

As for the second question, I don't have access to statistical physics texts at all. Is there an explanation on the internet somewhere? (Is http://www.phys-astro.sonoma.edu/people/faculty/tenn/P314/BlackbodyRadiation.pdf" a good one?)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Planck's oscillators?

Planck's oscillators are theoretical models used in physics to describe the vibrations and movements of particles at the atomic level. They are based on the concept that energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete amounts rather than being continuous.

2. How are Planck's oscillators related to energy assumption?

The energy assumption, also known as the Planck postulate, states that energy can only be exchanged in discrete units called quanta. Planck's oscillators are used to demonstrate this concept by showing how the energy of a system can only exist in specific, quantized states.

3. What is the significance of Planck's oscillators in modern physics?

Planck's oscillators were developed by Max Planck in the early 20th century and played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics. They helped to explain the observed behaviors of particles at the atomic level, leading to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of nature.

4. Can Planck's oscillators be observed in real life?

No, Planck's oscillators are theoretical models and cannot be directly observed. However, their predictions have been confirmed through experiments and observations of the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

5. How do Planck's oscillators relate to the concept of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. Planck's oscillators can be used to explain the relationship between entropy and energy, as the number of possible oscillators and energy states in a system increases, so does the level of entropy. This illustrates the connection between energy and disorder at the atomic level.