Partial fraction decomposition of the rational expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of partial fraction decomposition for a given rational expression. The correct decomposition is shown and the individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed, including mistakes made and potential methods for solving a system of equations with three unknowns.
mistalopez

Homework Statement

Write the partial fraction decomposition of the rational expression. Check your result algebraically.

(x2 – 7x + 16)/[(x + 2)(x2 – 4x + 5)]

The Attempt at a Solution

[A/(x+2)] + [(Bx+C)/(x2-4x+5)]

x2-7x+16= A(X2-4x+5)+(Bx+C)(x+2)
X2-7x+16=[A+B]x2+[-4A+B+C]x+[5A+C]

A+B=1 => B=1-A
-4A+B+C=-7 => Will need to plugin later
5A+C=16 => C=16-5A

-4A+B+C=-7 => 4A+1-A+16-5A= -10A=17 A=(-17/10)

Now I plug A back into the others

B=1-(-17/10) => B=(27/10)

C=16-5(-17/10) => C= (49/2)

Result: [(-17/10)/(x+2)] + [((27x/10)+(49/2))/(x2-4x+5)]

However, I am being told the answer is wrong. What is it that I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mistalopez said:

Homework Statement

Write the partial fraction decomposition of the rational expression. Check your result algebraically.

x2-7x+16= A(X2-4x+5)+(Bx+C)(x+2)
X2-7x+16=[A+B]x2+[-4A+B+C]x+[5A+C]
I see a couple of mistakes on the line above, in the coefficients of x and the constant term.
mistalopez said:
A+B=1 => B=1-A
-4A+B+C=-7 => Will need to plugin later
5A+C=16 => C=16-5A

-4A+B+C=-7 => 4A+1-A+16-5A= -10A=17 A=(-17/10)

Now I plug A back into the others

B=1-(-17/10) => B=(27/10)

C=16-5(-17/10) => C= (49/2)

Result: [(-17/10)/(x+2)] + [((27x/10)+(49/2))/(x2-4x+5)]

However, I am being told the answer is wrong. What is it that I am doing wrong?

I realize there is a mistake, but you could please elaborate upon my mistake without giving me the answer? Your response did not make it obvious or clear for me. Maybe a more indepth response would help me better understand my own mistake. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me with this problem!

Is it suppose to be X2-7x+16=[A+B]x2+[-4A+2B+C]x+[5A+2C]

Is that correct?

Mark44 said:
That's what I get

But now I am stuck because I can only get one value.

A+B=1 => A=1+B

-4A+2B+C=-7 =>

5A+2C=16 =>

mistalopez said:
But now I am stuck because I can only get one value.

A+B=1 => A=1+B
Mistake above. A = 1 - B
mistalopez said:
-4A+2B+C=-7 =>

5A+2C=16 =>

You have three equations in three unknowns, so you should be able to solve for them.

Mark44 said:
Mistake above. A = 1 - BYou have three equations in three unknowns, so you should be able to solve for them.

That was my question. How am I suppose to solve for 3 unknowns when I cannot cancel anything out. I need atleast 2 known variables to solve any of the equations. Do I subtract equations or some sort of method?

Use one of the three equations to get a substitution formula. For example, you have A=1-B so far. By substituting into the other two equations, you should be able to reduce your system down to 2 equations and 2 unknowns. Go from there...

mistalopez said:

Homework Statement

You need to change the Bx+C. That polynomial can be reduced. So change it to a B and a C.

GreatEscapist said:
mistalopez said:

Homework Statement

You need to change the Bx+C. That polynomial can be reduced. So change it to a B and a C.
NO! mistalopez has the correct decomposition.

Mark44 said:
GreatEscapist said:
NO! mistalopez has the correct decomposition.
Are you sure? We learned to break down polynomials to factors first, before making it a Bx+c. We learned that the only time you don't use that is when it does not come out evenly in a factor.

Yes, I'm sure. x2 -4x + 5 can't be factored into linear factors with real coefficients.

Oh my god, how stupid of me. I read that wrong.
I'm so sorry. >.<

GreatEscapist said:
Oh my god, how stupid of me. I read that wrong.
I'm so sorry. >.<
We all screw up from time to time...

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational expression into smaller, simpler fractions.

2. What is the purpose of partial fraction decomposition?

The purpose of partial fraction decomposition is to make the rational expression easier to work with and potentially easier to integrate.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you first factor the denominator of the rational expression. Then, you set up equations with unknown coefficients for each factor. Finally, you solve for the coefficients and rewrite the rational expression as the sum of the simpler fractions.

4. When is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful when integrating rational functions, solving differential equations, and simplifying complex algebraic expressions.

5. Is there a specific order in which to perform partial fraction decomposition?

Yes, there is a specific order for performing partial fraction decomposition. You must first factor the denominator, then set up equations with unknown coefficients, and finally solve for the coefficients and rewrite the rational expression. Skipping any of these steps may result in an incorrect decomposition.