Can Opening a Cat Cafe Be a Successful Venture?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a business idea of opening a cat hostel or a cat-themed cafe. The participants discuss the joys and challenges of interacting with cats and how cats can be trained to train their owners. They also share personal experiences with their own cats and express their love for these furry creatures.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What a brilliant business idea.

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,104576135001_2000212,00.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Awww, love it!

Math Is Hard said:
What a brilliant business idea.

I've got two hairballs. Want them for your business?:smile:

I'm putting up a sign tomorrow.

I should send this to my customers with a notice that office visits will have a cat surcharge added from now on.

Neat idea. I don't charge, but I do have to slow down and spend time when people are attracted to Duke. He is one heck of an ice-breaker, and people want to touch him and talk to him and ask about him.

My wife and I could easily have a doggie-hostel here. Our part-time neighbors from Mass, have a cute little white dog that minds me even better than Duke does, and she loves visiting and ramming around this little house with Duke on her trail. When the neighbors come up for a weekend of snowmobiling, they have an open invitation to leave Roady with us (especially if they want to make an overnight ride), though they haven't taken us up on it. Duke would love it!

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm putting up a sign tomorrow.

I should send this to my customers with a notice that office visits will have a cat surcharge added from now on.
How much for looking at cats, and how much for touching cats?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think that is your calling! That rock wall with the ledges is awesome!

Umm... Greg, that rock wall, was made out of wood.

:tongue2:

OmCheeto said:
Umm... Greg, that rock wall, was made out of wood.

:tongue2:

oooooh interesting, i thought it looked familiar... something i had seen long ago as a child. :D

"Ota spends most of her day touching metal". She spends $16 for unlimited time with the cats ... and a drink. Hmmm.

"Cats are just little people with fur." Hmmm.

Ok, I like animals, cats included, and cats don't really do much, so I guess interacting with them can be relaxing. Or boring. Unless of course you want to get them to actually do something, which can be frustrating ... and therefore stressful.

But of course, these people just want to interact ... with cats. Hmmm.

Any invading aliens are going to start wondering exactly which species is in charge...

ThomasT said:
"Ota spends most of her day touching metal". She spends $16 for unlimited time with the cats ... and a drink. Hmmm.

"Cats are just little people with fur." Hmmm.

Ok, I like animals, cats included, and cats don't really do much, so I guess interacting with them can be relaxing. Or boring. Unless of course you want to get them to actually do something, which can be frustrating ... and therefore stressful.

But of course, these people just want to interact ... with cats. Hmmm.

Cats are more subtle than dogs when it comes to do tricks and stuff. I don't even try to teach my cats tricks, as it's mostly futile. However that doesn't bother me because a cat simply being a cat is usually humorous enough itself. Mine do crazy things all the time. If you want to spend time doing something with an animal, don't get a cat. If you don't mind have an animal around that's mostly independent, yet can be loveable and funny just by being itself, get a cat.

ThomasT said:
Unless of course you want to get them to actually do something, which can be frustrating ... and therefore stressful.

The real fun is when you realize your cat has trained you. Cats have discovered humans are quite amenable to training.

Back when my wife and I were first married, we ended up in Bangor living across the street from some old friends who had "too many" cats. They had a blue-eyed white Persian that wouldn't leave me alone. She was as deaf as a post, but for some reason she could always tell when I entered the house and as soon as I sat somewhere she was in my lap, rubbing her head on my chest and purring like a chain-saw. She made sure that I wasn't mobbed by the other cats - I was HERS!

I was trying to pick up more technical courses at college and then working some insane hours on construction, so she was a bit of a "chill pill" for me, even though I had never been a cat-over.

turbo said:
Back when my wife and I were first married, we ended up in Bangor living across the street from some old friends who had "too many" cats. They had a blue-eyed white Persian that wouldn't leave me alone. She was as deaf as a post, but for some reason she could always tell when I entered the house and as soon as I sat somewhere she was in my lap, rubbing her head on my chest and purring like a chain-saw. She made sure that I wasn't mobbed by the other cats - I was HERS!

I was trying to pick up more technical courses at college and then working some insane hours on construction, so she was a bit of a "chill pill" for me, even though I had never been a cat-over.

*wonders if turbo has ever been a cat-under*

Oops!

If there was ever one cat that I loved, it was Midnight. She set the rules and I had to play by them.

lisab said:
The real fun is when you realize your cat has trained you. Cats have discovered humans are quite amenable to training.
No doubt. Dogs too. :smile:

Drakkith said:
Cats are more subtle than dogs when it comes to do tricks and stuff. I don't even try to teach my cats tricks, as it's mostly futile. However that doesn't bother me because a cat simply being a cat is usually humorous enough itself. Mine do crazy things all the time. If you want to spend time doing something with an animal, don't get a cat. If you don't mind have an animal around that's mostly independent, yet can be loveable and funny just by being itself, get a cat.
I have to agree. We've mostly had cats. Sometimes a dog. But mostly cats. They're cool. They're quiet. They're clean. They're independent. I like them.

turbo said:

I assume you mean cat lover. Me either. But, because of my girlfriends, we often had cats. I guess I liked them. At least I took care of them. I've always liked the lower animals, except the scary ones ... like hippos.

Finally some practical idea.

math is hard said:
what a brilliant business idea.

:!) oh :!) my :!) god :!)

turbo said:
How much for looking at cats, and how much for touching cats?

I'd be apprehensive about a place that has a menu of things you can do to cats with prices attached.

jim hardy said:
Well - there's a successful kitty B&B in Tulsa
my sister boards her cat here when they travel..

http://thecatnipcottage.com/

I have heard of a B&B for people that allows you to bring your cat... or they will rent you a cat for the night if you don't have your own! I thought that was pretty cool. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
I have heard of a B&B for people that allows you to bring your cat... or they will rent you a cat for the night if you don't have your own! I thought that was pretty cool. :smile:

Rent you a cat for the night??

Just go outside any restaurant with a can of tuna and you will find a pet cat for keeps!

Our local taco bell has a cat family in residence under the take out order sign. The queen had her litter there and people adopted the kittens as they ordered their tacos. The last I saw she still had two out of the six originals and they decided they wanted to stay with mom. Haven't been by in a while so don't know if they were finally tempted with a nice fish taco or not.

netgypsy said:
Our local taco bell has a cat family in residence under the take out order sign. The queen had her litter there and people adopted the kittens as they ordered their tacos. The last I saw she still had two out of the six originals and they decided they wanted to stay with mom. Haven't been by in a while so don't know if they were finally tempted with a nice fish taco or not.

"Can I take your order?"

"Yes, I'll have a taco, a burrito, and a calico."

lisab said:
"Can I take your order?"

"Yes, I'll have a taco, a burrito, and a calico."

Would you like your calico served on a hard or soft shell?

taco-cat-lrg.png

1. What is a cat cafe?

A cat cafe is a type of business that combines a coffee shop or cafe with a cat adoption center. Customers can come in to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while interacting with cats that are available for adoption. The goal of a cat cafe is to create a relaxed and comfortable environment for both customers and cats.

2. Can a cat cafe be successful?

Yes, a cat cafe can be a successful venture. The popularity of cat cafes has been growing in recent years, and many have been successful in terms of both profit and cat adoptions. However, the success of a cat cafe depends on various factors such as location, business model, and customer satisfaction.

3. What are the benefits of opening a cat cafe?

Opening a cat cafe can have several benefits. Firstly, it provides a unique and enjoyable experience for customers, which can attract a loyal customer base. Additionally, it can also help increase cat adoptions by providing a comfortable and stress-free environment for potential adopters to meet and interact with cats. Lastly, a cat cafe can also generate revenue through merchandise sales and events.

4. What are the challenges of opening a cat cafe?

Opening a cat cafe also comes with some challenges. Firstly, there may be legal requirements and regulations to consider, such as obtaining permits and licenses for operating a business and housing animals. Additionally, there may be high start-up costs for renovating the space and acquiring equipment. Managing and caring for the cats also requires proper training and hiring of staff.

5. How can one make a cat cafe successful?

To make a cat cafe successful, it is crucial to have a unique and inviting atmosphere, good customer service, and a well-run adoption program. The cafe should also have a solid business plan, including a clear budget and marketing strategy. Additionally, maintaining a clean and safe environment for both customers and cats is essential. It is also crucial to regularly evaluate and adapt the business model based on customer feedback and market trends.