Solving an Integration Problem Involving Partial Fractions and Trig Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses using partial fractions to reduce the given integral to a simpler form with a trig substitution. The values for A, B, and C are correctly calculated and the final step is to integrate the simplified integral.
Tilted

Homework Statement

[itex]\int[/itex][itex](x^2-2x+3)dx/(x^3-x^2-x-2)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Trig substitution/ partial fractions?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used partial fractions to reduce the integral down to:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]dx/(x-2)[/itex]+[itex]\int[/itex][itex](x-1)dx/(x^2+x+1)[/itex]

The first integral is easy enough, but the second one I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't agree with all of your numbers there but the general form is right. For the quadratic part you want to complete the square in the denominator, do substitution for the squared part, then split it up and use a trig substitution.

using partial fractions I obtained
(x^2-2x+3)
-----------dx
((x-2)(x^2+x+1)

A bx+c
-- + --------
x-2 x^2+x+1

A=3/7
B=4/7
c=-9/7
this is my attempt, i how it helps somwhat, I'm not sure if it's correct so I apologize early on.

jzachey said:
using partial fractions I obtained
(x^2-2x+3)
-----------dx
((x-2)(x^2+x+1)

A Bx+C
-- + --------
x-2 x^2+x+1
Code:
A                 Bx+C
--       +     --------
x-2           x^2+x+1
A=3/7
B=4/7
C=-9/7
this is my attempt, i how it helps somwhat, I'm not sure if it's correct so I apologize early on.
Those values for A, B, and C, are correct.

SammyS said:
Code:
A                 Bx+C
--       +     --------
x-2           x^2+x+1
Those values for A, B, and C, are correct.

Oh thank you so this means
∫[itex]\frac{3}{7(x-2)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{4x-9}{7(x+x+1)}[/itex]
From here you integrate

jzachey said:
Oh thank you so this means
[itex]\displaystyle \int\left(\frac{3}{7(x-2)}+\frac{4x-9}{7(x^2+x+1)}\right)dx[/itex]
From here you integrate
There's a typo in your post, corrected (and reformatted) above.

What is Calculus 2?

Calculus 2 is the second course in a college-level sequence of calculus courses. It focuses on techniques and applications of integration, including finding areas, volumes, and arc lengths of curves.

What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a mathematical question that involves finding the antiderivative of a given function, and using that to evaluate a definite or indefinite integral. It is used to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid in calculus.

What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques can be applied to different types of integrals depending on the form of the integrand.

How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

Some ways to improve your skills in solving integration problems include practicing with a variety of problems, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and reviewing the fundamental concepts and rules of integration. It is also important to understand the applications of integration in real-world scenarios.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in integration problems include not being careful with algebraic manipulations, forgetting to include the constant of integration, and not checking your answer using differentiation. It is important to pay attention to details and double-check your work to avoid making errors.