Can any of you guys help to understand kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of kinetic energy conservation and the use of equations to determine the maximum elongation of a spring in a scenario involving two blocks of mass m connected by a spring and given a velocity v at an angle of 45 degrees with the horizontal. The question of whether to split the velocity into two components is raised, to which it is responded that energy is a scalar and thus cannot be split. The conversation then delves into the method of solving the problem, with the final conclusion being that the initial method used was correct.
suryanarayan
can any of you guys help to understand kinetic energy?

when we apply kinetic energy conservation...should we split the velocity into two components?
eg)))))
two blocks of mass m are connected by a spring and are both given a velocity v at an angle of 45 degree with the horizontal(they lie on the horizontal)
..assuming no friction is present...
what will be the maximum elongation of the spring??

i used by equating 1/2 k x2 with the initial ke of the two masses along the horizontal i.e.vcos45?is it correct?pls help me(no vertical motion)

Physics news on Phys.org

Well energy is a scalar so it it's meaningless to split the KE into two components.

You should however find the component of the force that gave the initial velocity in order to find the elongation.

can you pls tell me how to to solve it then...or did i do it correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm confused by the problem. How can the velocity be at a 45 degree angle with the horizontal if the masses must move only on the horizontal?

wotanub said:
I'm confused by the problem. How can the velocity be at a 45 degree angle with the horizontal if the masses must move only on the horizontal?

they are both given a horizontal velocity v...its given like that in the question...dont know why

In that case, I'd work it as you did.

[itex]2 \frac{1}{2} m (vcos(45°))^{2} = \frac{1}{2}k(Δx)^{2}[/itex]

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of mechanical energy and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy in everyday life include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a rolling ball, and a person running.

4. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

5. How does kinetic energy affect the behavior of objects?

Kinetic energy plays a significant role in the behavior of objects. It determines how fast an object can move, how much force it can exert, and how much work it can do. It also factors into collisions and the transfer of energy between objects.