Harnessing kinetic energy from impact of rain water

In summary, the article claims that you can generate more energy from water falling as individual raindrops than from the impact of a mass of water. However, the terminal velocity of large, massive objects means that very few of these exist, and the surface area of a turbine is much larger than the surface area of a reservoir.
piisexactly3
I read in a science magazine that you would be able to generate more energy by collecting a mass of water and tipping it through a turbine than from generating energy from the impact of that mass of water as individual raindrops. Now this may simply be to do with the technology we have that can't collect enough useful energy from the impact of rainwater as opposed to turbines

But what confused about this is that that mass of water as rain has fallen from a great height where it has reached terminal velocity and so should have much more kinetic energy than merely being tipped from a small height.

I should mention that I do not have or am doing a degree in physics so I apologise if I'm being dumb, but was just very curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are actually hoping to make use of the kinetic energy of the rain as it falls onto a receiver of some kind, you should consider just how little actual energy is involved. Raindrops reach a terminal velocity of no more than 10m/s for the largest drops ( mostly, we're talking 1 or 2 m/s) and the actual mass of rain falling in a shower could be only a few grammes on a paddle wheel or equivalent.
I think there would be much more energy available from the wind in most locations. The clue is that (ifaik) there are no serious installations for harvesting 'rain energy' and people have really tried most things where there is a chance of success.

The terminal velocity of large, massive objects is high (say 50 m/s) but there are very few of these around (just as well).

piisexactly3 said:
But what confused about this is that that mass of water as rain has fallen from a great height where it has reached terminal velocity and so should have much more kinetic energy than merely being tipped from a small height.
Compare the surface area of the biggest turbine we can build, with the surface area that collects water into a reservoir from a dam. Even if rain would have more energy per liter, it is so much simpler to collect huge amounts with less energy density and put them through a smaller, simpler to build turbine.

1. How is kinetic energy harnessed from the impact of rain water?

Kinetic energy from the impact of rain water is harnessed through the use of specialized devices such as turbines or generators. These devices are placed in the path of falling rain water and use its kinetic energy to generate electricity.

2. What are the benefits of harnessing kinetic energy from rain water?

Harnessing kinetic energy from rain water has several benefits. It is a renewable source of energy that does not produce harmful emissions, making it more environmentally friendly. It also reduces our reliance on fossil fuels and can help to lower our energy costs.

3. How much energy can be harnessed from the impact of rain water?

The amount of energy that can be harnessed from the impact of rain water depends on various factors such as the intensity and amount of rainfall, the size and efficiency of the devices used, and the location of the installation. Generally, a single raindrop does not contain a significant amount of energy, but when combined with a large number of raindrops, the energy can add up.

4. What are the limitations of harnessing kinetic energy from rain water?

One of the main limitations of harnessing kinetic energy from rain water is the unpredictability of rainfall. This means that the energy production may fluctuate and cannot be relied upon as a consistent source of energy. The technology for harnessing this energy is also still in its early stages and requires further development to become more efficient and cost-effective.

5. Can kinetic energy from rain water be harnessed in all locations?

Kinetic energy from rain water can be harnessed in most locations, as long as there is sufficient rainfall. However, the effectiveness of harnessing this energy may vary depending on the climate and topography of the area. For example, areas with higher average rainfall and less obstacles in the path of falling rain may be more suitable for harnessing this energy.