Visualizing Forces in equilibrium

In summary, when studying for the MCATs in physics, it is important to pay attention to all forces and associated forces, use equations correctly, track changes in the system, and practice regularly.
----md
Hi,

I am studying for the MCATs, and currently going through physics. Sadly its my weakest area :(
For the last three weeks I am stuck on conservative/non-conservative forces. The problem seems to be that I keep missing important associated forces on a system.
For example:
I got stuck with problem 62 and 42 here: http://www.astro.queensu.ca/~tjb/hw/P10706/hw6.pdf

The problem? for 42- I simply didnt include the F of the engine in the free diagram- and all other forces canceled out.
For 62: I assumed that for the skier to be able to continue straight the final KE just has to be greater than the Centripetal force. Skipped over the fact that I can just make mg= mv^2/r and then solve the work energy equation. I had a couple of similar "ahh" moments with other force problems.

Soooo- Any tips for specific exercises/problems/ approaches to make sure that I don't miss key aspects of the system??
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!When studying for the MCAT in physics, it is important to pay attention to all of the forces and associated forces that are acting on a system. Make sure to include all of the forces in your free body diagrams, as this will help you to determine which forces are acting on the system. Additionally, understand the equations that are associated with each force, and how they interact with one another. For example, in problem 62, you should have used the equation mg=mv^2/r to solve the work-energy equation. Additionally, make sure to keep track of what is happening in the system and how it affects the outcome. This can be done by making a flowchart or timeline of events and noting any changes in energy, velocity, etc. Doing this can help you to identify any missed forces or other factors that may be affecting the system. Finally, practice as much as possible. Doing practice problems and working through different scenarios can help you to become more familiar with the concepts and forces associated with them. You can also use online resources to help you better understand the material and connect with other students who are also studying for the MCATs.

1. What is a force in equilibrium?

A force in equilibrium is a force that is balanced, meaning that it has no resulting motion or acceleration. In other words, the net force acting on an object in equilibrium is equal to zero.

2. How do you visually represent forces in equilibrium?

Forces in equilibrium can be represented using a free-body diagram, which is a diagram that shows all the forces acting on an object as vectors. The vectors are drawn to scale and the length and direction of each vector represent the magnitude and direction of the force, respectively.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a system where all forces are balanced and there is no motion, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a system where all forces are balanced but there is still motion. In other words, in static equilibrium, the object is at rest, while in dynamic equilibrium, the object is moving at a constant speed.

4. How can you tell if an object is in equilibrium?

If an object is in equilibrium, the net force acting on it is equal to zero. This means that all the forces acting on the object cancel each other out, resulting in no change in motion. Additionally, the object will either be at rest or moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium?

There are many real-life examples of forces in equilibrium, such as a book resting on a table, a person sitting on a chair, and a bridge supporting the weight of cars. These examples all involve balanced forces where the net force is equal to zero, resulting in no motion or acceleration.