Free Web Hosting - Text & Graphics, Create Pages & Links

In summary, free web hosting services allow users to create and publish websites without having to pay for server space. These services often offer features such as text and graphics editing, as well as the ability to create pages and links within the website. While free web hosting can be a convenient and cost-effective option for individuals or small businesses, it may also have limitations in terms of storage space and customization options. It is important for users to carefully consider their needs and the terms of service before choosing a free web hosting provider.
Hornbein
I am looking for a website host that is

• free
  • will allow me to enter text and graphics
  • allows me to add and name web pages
  • allows me to create links between these pages

I of course would abide with all of the rules of the host.

Does anyone know of such a thing? All of the free hosts that I looked at had website builders that did not allow the creation of new pages or the renaming of pages. I would love to avoid website builders entirely, but it seems that is not an option.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried Google Sites? I played around with it for a while, a couple of months ago. I think I remember doing all of the things you mention above.

As with other "site-builder" type hosts, you cannot write your own complete HTML page and upload it. You're limited to a set of predefined page formats. Nor can you easily transfer pages that you've created there to another web-hosting service; you have to copy the content and paste it into another site-builder, or into your own HTML code.

However, inside the predefined text boxes you do have the ability to use HTML and embedded CSS code for formatting.

I didn't go very far with Google Sites because I already have a medium-size website (100 or so pages) written in hand-coded HTML, hosted for free on my school's server. It would be too much work to reconstruct it in Google Sites. Instead, when it comes time to move my site, I'll use a traditional web-hosting service (haven't decided which one yet) and pay their fee, which looks like it will probably be $50 - $100 per year.

Last time I looked, which was admittedly a couple of years ago, free sites were available all over the place if you are willing to use a shared domanin name and allow ads (not your own) on the site.

You can do anything with such sites that you can do with any site, including all the stuff you mentioned.

EDIT: OK, I just did a quick Google search for "free web hosting" and got 128,000,000 hits so I'm figuring you won't have any trouble finding one.

The host I use costs $5 a month (plus whatever you want for a domain name), and that allows you about a gig of space, 10 gb of bandwidth, MySQL database, can use php or HTML, and you can host whatever you want (within the legal confinements), and their uptime is 99% of the year (I think out of all my sites, which is about 8, have only gone offline for a few minutes once in the last 10 years - at least that I'm aware of).

The hosting company I use is Apis Networks (apisnetworks.com). If you can swing $5 to $10 a month, it would be better than using a site builder host.

If you want to try it out, I can make you a sub domain off my site and give you a small amount of space (maybe 50 mb?) if you want to just mess around with HTML and php. Send me a pm if you want me to set that up for you :)

I recommend you 000.webhost.com
It is free, no ADS. and the domain name does not look weird. I used it some time ago, it's great. Their customer support is also very good.
They do have a limitation of bandwidth and space though ;)

adjacent said:
I recommend you 000.webhost.com
It is free, no ADS. and the domain name does not look weird. I used it some time ago, it's great. Their customer support is also very good.
They do have a limitation of bandwidth and space though ;)

Sounds good! I don't need much space. A couple of megs might be enough.

I would recommend heroku or github hosting. The url for github would be something like username.github.io, but its stellar. I don't think there is much of a limit on space or bandwidth on either of them to be honest.

Edit:
All the cool kids use heroku.

What is free web hosting?

Free web hosting is a service that allows individuals or businesses to create and publish a website without paying any fees. The hosting provider provides storage space and bandwidth for the website, and may also offer tools for creating and managing the site.

Is free web hosting reliable?

Free web hosting can be reliable, but it depends on the hosting provider. Some free hosting services may have lower uptime and slower loading speeds compared to paid hosting. It is important to research and read reviews before choosing a free hosting provider.

What are the limitations of free web hosting?

Free web hosting may have limitations such as limited storage space, bandwidth, and features. Some providers may also display ads on your website to generate revenue. Additionally, free hosting may not offer as much customer support compared to paid hosting.

Can I upgrade from free web hosting to a paid plan?

Yes, many free hosting providers offer paid plans with more features and resources. You can usually upgrade to a paid plan at any time to unlock more options for your website. However, it is important to carefully consider the cost and features before upgrading.

Do I need to have coding knowledge to use free web hosting?

No, most free hosting services offer website builders or content management systems (CMS) that allow you to create and manage your website without coding. However, having some knowledge of HTML and CSS can help you customize your site further.