Calculating Visibility of a Circular Structure on a Flat Earth Surface

• Thread starter e-realmz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation revolves around a circle structure that is 4,500 ft. high and 66 miles in diameter. The question is how far away would certain points on the structure be visible on the horizon. It is suggested to use Pythagoras' theorem and assume the Earth to be spherical for this calculation.
e-realmz
I do not know if this would be the right thread for this forum but I have a few questions.

On a surface exactly equal in all properties on Earth but lacking in any properties which would create poor or limited visibility at any distance including trees, mountians or level differences, there is a circle structure exactly 4,500 ft. high. It is 66 miles in diameter from 0 to 3,200 ft. From 3,200 ft. to 4,500 ft., it evenly slopes until it reaches a center point at the top.

With that information, I need to know how far (in miles) would one have to be for the following *points of this structure to be exactly visible on the horizon.

*0+ (Structures foundation)
*3,200+ (Beginning of slope)
*4,500 (Structure no longer visible)

Could anyone answer that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly what you are asking then you just need to find the distances to common horizon of both the observer and the observed point and add them. Pythagoras will accomplish that.

Well it's not differential geometry and nor tensor analysis. I'd say it's more like elementary geometry. As long as you assume Earth to be spherical.

Daniel.

What is geometry?

Geometry is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and dimensions of objects in space. It is used to understand and describe the physical world around us.

Why is geometry important?

Geometry is important because it helps us understand and make sense of the world around us. It also has many practical applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and art.

How is geometry used in real life?

Geometry is used in many real-life situations, such as designing buildings and bridges, creating computer graphics, and surveying land. It is also used in everyday tasks like measuring and calculating distances, angles, and areas.

What are the different types of geometry?

There are several types of geometry, including Euclidean geometry, which deals with flat, two-dimensional shapes, and non-Euclidean geometry, which includes curved and higher-dimensional shapes. Other types include analytic geometry, differential geometry, and projective geometry.

What are some common geometric shapes?

Some common geometric shapes include circles, triangles, squares, rectangles, and polygons. Other shapes include cones, cylinders, spheres, and cubes. These shapes can be found in nature, in man-made structures, and in everyday objects.