Schrödinger equation: P(r)>1 ?

In summary, the Schrödinger equation provides the solution for the ground state of the hydrogen electron, which is given by u100(r)=sqrt(1/(pi*a^3))*exp(-r/a). To calculate the probability values, one must use the formula P(r)=4*pi*r^2*|u100|^2 and integrate over the desired region. The charge distribution of the electron can be calculated using the formula Charge(r)=-e*abs(u100)^2. The function used for plotting the graphs is not specified, but it may be the Bernoulli or Airy functions.
Kruger
Schrödinger equation: P(r)>1 ?

I have the solution of the Schrödinger equation for the ground state of the hydrogen electron. The solution ist:

u100(r)=sqrt(1/(pi*a^3))*exp(-r/a)

If I want to calculate some probabilty values I do this with:

P(r)=4*pi*r^2*|u100|^2

If I set r=10^-13 I get a value that is greater than 1, I get P(10^-13)=10^34.

This cannot be. Whats wrong with my probability formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
P is a probability... density. To get the probability that it lies in a region, you need to integrate over that region.

With what function are the graphs plotted? (I mean one like this:
http://panda.unm.edu/courses/finley/P262/Hydrogen/img106.gif )

But to calculate the charge distribution of the electron I can take:

Charge(r)=-e*abs(u100)^2

thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with those graphs -- I might look at the Bernoulli or Airy functions, but if it's not them, I don't think I could guess. (Also, I think I've read that the Airy functions appear in dealing with the hydrogen atom)

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a specific time.

2. Who developed the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation was developed in 1925 by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger. He was one of the pioneers of quantum mechanics and his equation revolutionized the field.

3. What does P(r)>1 mean in the Schrödinger equation?

P(r)>1 in the Schrödinger equation represents the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. A value greater than 1 indicates that there is a higher probability of finding the particle in that location, while a value less than 1 indicates a lower probability.

4. How is the Schrödinger equation used in real-life applications?

The Schrödinger equation has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other particles. It is also used in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Schrödinger equation. It does not account for relativistic effects, such as the movement of particles at high speeds, and it does not apply to systems with multiple particles. However, it is still considered a fundamental and highly accurate equation in quantum mechanics.