Calculating viscous drag in water

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of viscous drag for a body moving through water at a given velocity and wetted surface area. The equation for viscous drag is given, but there are questions about the units of force and how it relates to other drag coefficients. The importance of the Reynolds number in determining the type of flow is also mentioned. However, the topic is complex and there is no exact answer, as factors like surface roughness need to be taken into account.
Dan Moskal
Hello:

Need some help here.

I am trying to Calculate the viscous drag for a body traveling through water at given velocity and wetted surface area. At this time I am not trying to calculate the pressure drag or wave drag.

Basically what I want to know is how many Newtons of force are absorbed by the viscous drag only.

I know the basic equation is

Rf = 0.5v^2s , where Rf is the viscous drag, v is velocity and s is the wetted surface area.

What I don't understand is how much force does Rf represent? Is it in Newtons?

Also, is the Rf related to the Coefficient of drag (Cf)? I know the Cf is pressure drag related to the shape of the object, for example about 0.295 for a bullet shaped object. Can you use the Rf in equations that call for the Cf?

Is the Rf related to the Re (Reynolds number)? How do you use the Reynolds number to help calculate the viscous drag losses on a surface area?

I am also confused because the equation Rf = 0.5v^2s does not take into account the temperature of the water. Viscosity varies a lot with temperature.

Any help appreciated. To make the math simpler, assume fresh water with a density of 1.0.

Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi dan maskal

Viscous drag (Rf) depends on the following:

wetted surface area - S (m^2)
speed of the hull - V (m/s)
viscosity (mu)
kinematic viscosity (nu)
density of water (rho)
coefficient of friction- Cf no units
length of waterline- L(m)
Rf = 0.5 x (rho) x V^2 x S x Cf
in units -> kg/m^3 x (m/s)^2 x m^2 = kg x m/s^2 = mass x acceleration = force

There are a number of drag coefficients, each of them relating to the specific drag that you're calculating at the time. Scramjet posted the correct equation for calculating skin friction.

The Reynolds number is important because it gives you an idea of the ratio of viscous forces to inertial forces, and thus how important skin friction is. It basically determines whether your boundary layer (the water flow very close to the object, where the flow is slowed down because of skin friction and viscosity) is laminar i.e. smooth, or turbulent. There's different approximations for skin friction coefficients in each case, and the flow may change from laminar to turbulent part of the way along the hull.

In short, you've picked up on a rather complex topic. ;) There's no exact answer. Reasonable estimates can be gleaned from the Blasius approximation (for laminar) and the 7th-root approximation (for turbulent), but they don't take into account surface roughness, which is a lot more important in water than it is in air. Unfortunately you'd have to work that out experimentally, but as I said earlier, you can get a good rough estimate based on boundary layer approximations.

1. What is viscous drag in water?

Viscous drag in water is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, caused by the friction between the object and the fluid. In other words, it is the resistance the water exerts on an object as it moves through it.

2. How is viscous drag calculated?

Viscous drag can be calculated using the formula FD = 6πηrv, where FD is the drag force, η is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid, r is the radius of the object, and v is the velocity of the object through the fluid.

3. What factors affect the calculation of viscous drag in water?

The calculation of viscous drag in water is affected by the velocity of the object, the size and shape of the object, and the properties of the fluid, such as its viscosity and density.

4. How does the viscosity of water affect the calculation of viscous drag?

The higher the viscosity of water, the greater the resistance it exerts on an object moving through it. This means that the higher the viscosity, the greater the calculated value of viscous drag will be.

5. Can the calculation of viscous drag in water be used in real-life situations?

Yes, the calculation of viscous drag in water is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, hydrodynamics, and fluid mechanics to predict the behavior of objects moving through water and to design efficient structures and systems.