What is the Simplified Integral for Average Momentum?

In summary, The conversation is about a physics problem involving a coordinate space wavefunction and its average momentum. The solution involves simplifying an integral by using integration by parts, but the process is not initially clear to the person asking the question. However, upon further examination, they realize that it is a simple application of integration by parts.
eck
I have the physics question along with the solution, but in the solution I don't understand how they evaluated the integral. I can't get my brower to preview TeX input, so I'm going to leave it without formatting, but you can find the problem http://web.mit.edu/8.05/probsets/ps1_v1.pdf". The problem I am looking at is number one. I've also got the problem and solution posted here (w/o formatting) but it's kind of hard to read:
Problem
--------------------
A particle's coordinate space wavefunction is square-integrable and real up to an arbitrary multiplicative phase:
psi(x) = exp(i * alpha) phi (x)
with alpha real and constant and phi(x) real. Prove that its average momentum is zero.
Solution
-------------------
Setting up the integral is easy, and you can pull out a couple constants. So you have an infinite integral with this inside:
dx exp(-i alpha) phi(x) exp(i alpha) d/dx[phi(x)]
Somehow, in the solution, they pull out 1/2 and leave the following in the integral:
dx d/dx[phi(x)^2]
When I look at it, I see the exponentials cancelling, but I don't understand where the 1/2 comes from and how the first phi(x) gets pulled into the derivative.
Can anyone shed any insight on how this integral was simplified?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was looking at the problem some more, and all of a sudden it hit me. It's kind of embarrassing that I didn't see it before. If anyone else looks at it... nothing tricky is involved. It's integration by parts, but it's so obvious I didn't even see it.

What is Average Momentum Integral?

The Average Momentum Integral is a mathematical concept used in fluid mechanics to calculate the average velocity of a fluid flow over a given area or volume. It takes into account the mass and velocity of the fluid to determine its overall momentum.

How is Average Momentum Integral calculated?

The Average Momentum Integral is calculated by multiplying the average velocity of the fluid by its mass over a given area or volume. The average velocity is determined by integrating the velocity profile over the area or volume of interest.

What is the significance of Average Momentum Integral in fluid mechanics?

The Average Momentum Integral is an important concept in fluid mechanics as it allows us to determine the overall momentum of a fluid flow over a specific area or volume. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and characteristics of fluid flows in various applications, such as in pipes, pumps, and turbines.

How does Average Momentum Integral relate to Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that an increase in fluid velocity results in a decrease in fluid pressure. The Average Momentum Integral takes into account the velocity of a fluid flow, which can then be used to calculate the fluid pressure at a given point. This relationship is important in understanding the flow dynamics of fluids in various systems.

What are some practical applications of Average Momentum Integral?

The concept of Average Momentum Integral has many practical applications, including the design of pipes, pumps, and turbines, as well as in the study of aerodynamics. It is also used in environmental engineering to model and analyze fluid flows in rivers, lakes, and oceans.