Distinguishing Types of Music: A Beginner's Guide

• Music
  • Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation is about distinguishing different types of music, including pop, rock, heavy rock, rap, R&B, hip-hop, and dance. The person is seeking knowledge or resources to learn more about these genres.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
I know it's quite embarrassing when I ask this, but how can one distinguish different types of music. I can clearly tell which one is a pop song. It's easy since pop song is just about love.
I know Rock, and Heavy Rock (is it also called Heavy Metal?), but I don't know what's the difference. Is that there's more drums in HR than in Rock?
I also know rap, R&B, and Hip-hop, but once again I don't know the difference... :frown:
And also is Dance some kind of music that you going to find in a disco?
So hopefully, can anyone fetch me some knowledge on this field, or point me to a site that teaches me something like that?
Thanks a lot, :smile:

Science news on Phys.org
VietDao29 said:
I know it's quite embarrassing when I ask this, but how can one distinguish different types of music. I can clearly tell which one is a pop song. It's easy since pop song is just about love.

I don't think that's entirely true, a lot of pop songs are about love, but I wouldn't call that the rule which distinguishes pop from other types of music because a lot of other types of music have songs about love as well.

The word 'Pop' comes from 'Popular'. Alas, your definition is simply not true.

VietDao29 said:
I know Rock, and Heavy Rock (is it also called Heavy Metal?), but I don't know what's the difference. Is that there's more drums in HR than in Rock?
I also know rap, R&B, and Hip-hop, but once again I don't know the difference... :frown:
And also is Dance some kind of music that you going to find in a disco?
So hopefully, can anyone fetch me some knowledge on this field, or point me to a site that teaches me something like that?
Thanks a lot, :smile:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

And so on. Just look any particular genre up in the Wikipedia. They describe it and mention bands that exemplify it you can listen to.

1. What are the main types of music?

The main types of music are classical, jazz, rock, pop, and electronic. Other popular genres include hip hop, country, and folk.

2. How do I distinguish between different types of music?

You can distinguish between different types of music by listening to the style, instrumentation, and overall sound of the music. Each genre has distinct characteristics that set it apart from others.

3. What is the difference between classical and jazz music?

The main difference between classical and jazz music is the style and structure. Classical music is more formal and follows a specific composition, while jazz is more improvisational and often features solos and syncopated rhythms.

4. Can a song belong to multiple genres?

Yes, a song can belong to multiple genres. Many artists blend different styles of music to create a unique sound. For example, a song can have elements of both pop and electronic music.

5. How has technology impacted different types of music?

Technology has greatly impacted different types of music by allowing for new sounds and styles to be created. Electronic music, for example, would not exist without the use of technology such as synthesizers and computers. Additionally, technology has made it easier for music to be shared and discovered, leading to the fusion of different genres and the creation of new subgenres.