Is Squaring the Best Method to Solve Absolute Value Quadratic Equations?

In summary,The author is asking for the solution to the following equation: f(x) = 1-x/1+x, x>0If x>0, then f(f(x)) +f(f(1/x)) will be positive. If x<0, then f(f(x)) +f(f(1/x)) will be negative.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I need to solve:
[tex]\left| 2x-3 \right| = 5 - x^2[/tex]
I started by squaring the equation because modulus functions can only be positive and obtained:
[tex]x^4 -14x^2 +12x +1 = 0[/tex]
I haven't olved any quadnomial equations before, so I don't know where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hootenanny said:
I need to solve:
[tex]\left| 2x-3 \right| = 5 - x^2[/tex]
I started by squaring the equation because modulus functions can only be positive and obtained:
[tex]x^4 -14x^2 +12x +1 = 0[/tex]
I haven't olved any quadnomial equations before, so I don't know where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.
Nah squaring both sides just turns your little problem into a monster...
It'll help if you note that:
|A| >= 0.
So if you are saying that |A| = B, then is it obvious that B should be non-negative, too?
Now if B is non-negative, and we have |A| = B, so that means:
A = B, if A >= 0
A = -B, if A < 0, right?
So all you have to do is to solve the system of equations:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} 5 - x ^ 2 \geq 0 \\ \left[ \begin{array}{l} 2x - 3 = 5 - x ^ 2 \\ 2x - 3 = x ^ 2 - 5 \end{array} \right. \end{array} \right.[/tex]
Can you get it? :)

I get:
[tex]x\leq\sqrt{5}[/tex]
Then for the first equation [itex]x=2[/itex] and [itex]x=-4[/itex].
And for the second; [itex]2\pm 2\sqrt{3}[/itex] but we must ignore the [itex]2 + 2\sqrt{3}[/itex] because it lies outside the inequality.
Ive got three answers what have I done wrong?

The split to the cases 2x-3=5-x^2 and 2x-3=x^2-5 had additional restrictions on x that came from the absolute value sign, you haven't taken this into account yet.

Hootenanny said:
I get:
[tex]x\leq\sqrt{5}[/tex]
This is wrong: What if x = -7, -7 < sqrt(5), but 5 - (-7)2 = 5 - 49 = -44 < 0!
What you should get is:
[tex]-\sqrt{5} \leq x \leq \sqrt{5}[/tex]
Then for the first equation [itex]x=2[/itex] and [itex]x=-4[/itex].
This is correct. :)
However, -4 is not a valid solution, it's outside the range.
And for the second; [itex]2\pm 2\sqrt{3}[/itex] but we must ignore the [itex]2 + 2\sqrt{3}[/itex] because it lies outside the inequality.
Ive got three answers what have I done wrong?
Nope, you've solved the second equation incorrectly. You forget to divide it by 2a (i.e: 2).
Can you go from here? :)
------------
By the way, one can always check their answer by plugging the solution back to the equation. For example: x = 2 is one of the solution. So:
|2x - 3| = |2 . 2 - 3| = 1
5 - x2 = 5 - 22 = 1.
And hurray! 1 = 1.
Can you get this? :)

Last edited:
shmoe said:
The split to the cases 2x-3=5-x^2 and 2x-3=x^2-5 had additional restrictions on x that came from the absolute value sign, you haven't taken this into account yet.
Nah, we just need the "restriction" 5 - x2 >= 0. If: 2x - 3 = 5 - x2, then it's obvious that 2x - 3 >= 0.
And if: 2x - 3 = -(5 - x2) = x2 - 5, then it's obvious that 2x - 3 <= 0. No?
So one is enough, I think. :wink:

Ahh yes, I remember the critical values now. It's along time since I've practised solving inequalities.

So
[tex]x = \frac{2\pm 2\sqrt{3}}{2} \Rightarrow x = \pm\sqrt{3}[/tex]
Both solutions lie with the inequality so the solutions are [itex] x=-4, x=-\sqrt{3},x = \sqrt{3}, x=2[/itex]

Does that look ok?

Hootenanny said:
Ahh yes, I remember the critical values now. It's along time since I've practised solving inequalities.

So
[tex]x = \frac{2\pm 2\sqrt{3}}{2} \Rightarrow x = \pm\sqrt{3}[/tex]
Nah, this is again wrong... :tongue2:
It should read:
[tex]x = 1 \pm \sqrt{3}[/tex] :)
Both solutions lie with the inequality so the solutions are [itex] x=-4, x=-\sqrt{3},x = \sqrt{3}, x=2[/itex]

Does that look ok?
No, that does not, you may want to re-check that, there are up to 2 solutions that do not satisfy the inequality 5 - x2 >= 0.
You'll have only 2 valid solutions left.
Can you go from here? :)

O dear, does the lack of sleep show?

So the only valid solutions are:
[tex]x=2[/tex]
[tex]x=1-\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Thank's very much for your help.

Hootenanny said:
O dear, does the lack of sleep show?
Pretty much. :approve:
So the only valid solutions are:
[tex]x=2[/tex]
[tex]x=1-\sqrt{3}[/tex]
Yes, this is correct.
Congratulations, :)
Thank's very much for your help.
It's my pleasure. :smile:

can i have solution of the Question if f(x) = 1-x/1+x,x>0 then f(f(x)) +f(f(1/x))

1. What is a modulus function?

A modulus function, also known as an absolute value function, is a mathematical function that determines the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It calculates the positive value of a number, regardless of its sign.

2. How do you solve a modulus function algebraically?

To solve a modulus function algebraically, you need to set up two equations: one with the original expression and one with the opposite expression (without the modulus). Then, solve each equation separately and take the positive solution for the modulus function.

3. Can a modulus function have more than one solution?

Yes, a modulus function can have more than one solution. This is because the modulus function only tells us the distance of a number from zero, not its specific value. For example, |x| = 5 has two solutions: x = 5 and x = -5.

4. How do you graph a modulus function?

To graph a modulus function, you can create a table of values by plugging in different x-values and calculating the corresponding y-values using the modulus function rule. Then, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a straight line.

5. What is the difference between a modulus function and a piecewise function?

A modulus function is a type of piecewise function, but not all piecewise functions are modulus functions. A modulus function has a specific rule for determining its output based on its input, while a piecewise function can have different rules for different sections of its domain.