Solution to system of differential equations

In summary, the streamlines for the vector field can be found using Laplace transform. The system can be rewrittten in a matrix form and the eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be found using the equation.
Alteran
In order to find streamlines for vector field, we need to solve this system of differential equations:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = -x+y+z[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = x-y+z[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = x+y-z[/tex]
where
[tex]x(0) = a[/tex]
[tex]y(0) = b[/tex]
[tex]z(0) = c[/tex]

I have used Mathematica in order to find solutions for these equations and it calculated the following:
[tex]x = \frac{2a-b-c+ae^{3t}+be^{3t}+ce^{3t}}{3e^{2t}}[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{-a+2b-c+ae^{3t}+be^{3t}+ce^{3t}}{3e^{2t}}[/tex]
[tex]z = \frac{-a-b+2c+ae^{3t}+be^{3t}+ce^{3t}}{3e^{2t}}[/tex]

it is, of course, right - I have check parametric plot and it is streamline, but I think how it came to that solution? Does anybody can explain how I can solve these equations (step-by-step would be very very helpful :roll: ) without using of Mathematica? I do not understand why there is [tex]3e^{2t}[/tex]?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The simpliest solution can be found using Laplace transform. The system you mentioned can be rewriten in a matrix form as following:

[tex]\frac{{d\bar x}}{{dt}} = A\bar x[/tex]

where

[tex]\bar x = \left( {x,y,z} \right)[/tex]

Applying Laplace transform to the both sides of the equation yields:

[tex]s\bar x\left( s \right) - \bar x_0 = A\bar x\left( s \right)[/tex]

After rearranging and taking out the common terms you get:

[tex]\bar x\left( s \right) = \left( {sI - A} \right)^{ - 1} \bar x_0[/tex]

Last, you need to perform the inverse Laplace transform (this is where the [tex]3e^{2t}[/tex] is coming from):

[tex]\bar x\left( t \right) = L^{ - 1} \left\{ {\bar x\left( s \right)} \right\}[/tex]

As I understand we derive the matrix from the system, then we calculate det(A-xI) and we get cubic equation and then roots: 1, -2, -2 which are eigenvalues.

I got an equation: [tex]-x^3-3x^2+4 = 0[/tex] so roots are indeed: 1, -2, -2.

How to create eigenvectors? I belief that we need so called eigenvector to get linearly independent solutions.

1. What is a "system of differential equations"?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describes the relationship between multiple variables and their rates of change over time. This type of equation is often used to model dynamic systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What is the purpose of finding a solution to a system of differential equations?

The purpose of finding a solution to a system of differential equations is to predict the behavior of a dynamic system over time. By solving the equations, we can determine the values of the variables at any given point and thus understand how the system will change and evolve over time.

3. How is a system of differential equations solved?

There are several methods for solving a system of differential equations, including analytical (exact) solutions, numerical solutions using techniques like Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, and graphical solutions. The method used will depend on the complexity of the equations and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving systems of differential equations?

Systems of differential equations are used in a variety of real-world applications, including population dynamics, chemical reactions, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and more. They can also be used to model and understand complex systems like weather patterns and economic trends.

5. What are some challenges in finding a solution to a system of differential equations?

Solving systems of differential equations can be challenging due to their complexity and the potential for multiple solutions. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution can be affected by the initial conditions and the chosen method of solution. In some cases, it may also be difficult to find an analytical solution, requiring the use of numerical methods.