Can Tolerance to One Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor Lead to Tolerance to Others?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is wondering if getting tolerant to one drug, bupropion, will make them necessarily tolerant to other drugs such as Adderall and Ritalin. They also ask about other drugs that increase dopamine and their effects. They have been taking bupropion for a while and have not experienced tolerance. They have also read various articles and research on the topic but still have unanswered questions. They are primarily concerned about the effects of bupropion on their attention span.
Simfish
Gold Member
Does getting addicted/tolerant to one of them make you necessarily addicted/tolerant to others?

I'm on bupropion to treat my ADD (primarily inattentive) symptoms, which is one. But so are cocaine, Adderall, and Ritalin. So if I get tolerant to bupropion, will that make me necessarily tolerant to Adderall and Ritalin? And then screw me over unless I get a modafinil prescription?

And what of other drugs that increase dopamine, but by other methods?

Biology news on Phys.org
Yeah, but I'll only see him in another couple of weeks.

Oh, you take bupropion? For what? And by the way, do you feel the effects almost immediately? Does it make your attention span really improve? And what dose do you take? And have you gotten any seizures?

Oh, and I already read the Wiki articles - nonetheless, they do not answer my questions nor do they address the issue of how it compares with other DRI.

I've also looked at research journals comparing bupropion with the amphetamines, but it's only in terms of scores - it still doesn't explain when the effects come, are they acute or not, etc... And not for schoolwork either - which is what I'm primarily concerned about.

Last edited:
I know that people who take Ritalin and Adderall feel the effects immediately, so I'm wondering if bupropion is like that.

But as for seizures - if you overdose and get a seizure, then will that be the only seizure you get from the overdose?

What are dopamine reuptake inhibitors?

Dopamine reuptake inhibitors are a class of drugs that work by blocking the reuptake of dopamine in the brain. This leads to an increase in dopamine levels, which can improve symptoms related to conditions such as depression, ADHD, and Parkinson's disease.

How do dopamine reuptake inhibitors work?

Dopamine reuptake inhibitors work by binding to dopamine transporters, which are responsible for removing dopamine from the synapse (the space between nerve cells). By blocking these transporters, dopamine reuptake inhibitors allow dopamine to remain in the synapse for a longer period of time, leading to an increase in its effects.

What are some common dopamine reuptake inhibitors?

Some common dopamine reuptake inhibitors include medications such as bupropion, methylphenidate, and amphetamines. These drugs are often used for treating conditions such as depression, ADHD, and narcolepsy.

What are the potential side effects of dopamine reuptake inhibitors?

The most common side effects of dopamine reuptake inhibitors include nausea, headache, and insomnia. In some cases, these medications can also cause more serious side effects such as increased heart rate and blood pressure, as well as potential for addiction and abuse.

Are there any risks associated with taking dopamine reuptake inhibitors?

While dopamine reuptake inhibitors can be effective in treating certain conditions, there are potential risks associated with their use. These include interactions with other medications and the potential for withdrawal symptoms when stopping use. It is important to discuss any potential risks with a healthcare provider before starting treatment with dopamine reuptake inhibitors.