Understanding Eddy Currents: Exploring the Effects of Changing Flux on Metals

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct answer to a question regarding the effects of a magnet on a closed conductor and an open circuit. The correct answer is C, and the conversation delves into the explanation behind this answer, including the concept of eddy currents and their effects on different materials. The conversation also mentions a demonstration that effectively showcases eddy currents and their practical applications.
jubba
What is the answer to this question(see attachment) ?

i thought the answer was (B) but it is (C)

Attachments

• physq.JPG
    physq.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody know why

Answer C is correct-amundo. What retards Q? Why does that same effect not retard R?

EDIT -- Sorry, got my alphabet mixed up. ABC, PQR, etc. Fixed now.

Last edited:
jubba said:
anybody know why

What happens when a magnet goes through a closed conductor?

Can current flow through plastic?

can current flow through an open circuit?

As the closed loop conductor slides down the magnet, it generates a current around the loop, so gravity is doing work to produce a current, which takes up some of the work gravity uses to pull the ring down.

And just in case Pythagorean's hints aren't enough, please review what eddy currents are all about, and what helps them to happen, and what various things keep them from happening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current

i know that the open loop won't have as high a current as the closed loop of copper but should it still have some eddy currents. Afterall it is still a piece of metal experiencing a change in flux through it.
Thats why i thought it should be
p,r,q

jubba said:
i know that the open loop won't have as high a current as the closed loop of copper but should it still have some eddy currents. Afterall it is still a piece of metal experiencing a change in flux through it.
Thats why i thought it should be
p,r,q
Nope. The eddy current would need to flow around the enclosed surface with the changing flux. Break that outside path, and there is no total eddy current generating an opposing flux and force.

My undergrad alma matter Physics department puts on a great demo during the annual Picnic Day (UC Davis's open house day each spring), where eddy currents and their practical effects are demonstrated. Slots in different metals, plastics, the whole deal. Very effective learning tools.

1. What is a multiple choice question?

A multiple choice question is a type of question that presents a set of options or choices, usually in the form of answers, and asks the respondent to choose the correct one.

2. Why are multiple choice questions commonly used?

Multiple choice questions are commonly used because they are easy to create and grade, they can cover a wide range of topics in a short amount of time, and they allow for objective evaluation of knowledge and understanding.

3. How should I approach answering a multiple choice question?

To approach a multiple choice question, carefully read the question and all of the options provided. Eliminate any options that are clearly incorrect and then choose the best answer from the remaining options based on your knowledge and understanding of the subject.

4. Are multiple choice questions effective in testing knowledge and understanding?

Yes, when properly designed, multiple choice questions can effectively test knowledge and understanding. They can assess a variety of cognitive levels, from simple recall to higher order thinking skills.

5. Can multiple choice questions be used to assess more than just factual knowledge?

Yes, multiple choice questions can be used to assess a wide range of skills and abilities, including critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making. Careful design and construction of the questions is necessary to effectively assess these skills.