Solving Momentum Questions: 4 Homework Puzzles

• Thread starter notinbutmatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a cannon attached to a carriage and a spring. It asks for help in solving four questions related to the problem, including finding the recoil speed of the cannon, the maximum extension of the spring, the maximum force exerted by the spring, and whether momentum is conserved in the system when firing. The person providing the summary also advises attempting to solve the problems before asking for help and offers a hint for solving the problems.
notinbutmatt
I have 4 question for homework that i cannot figure out? Can u show me how to do them or at least start me off?
1. A cannon is rigidly attached to a carriage, which can move along horizontal rails, but is connected to a post by a large spring ,initally unstretched and with force constant k=2.00 x 10^4 N/m. The cannon fires from a 200 kg projectile at a velocity of 125 m/s directed 45 degrees.
a) If the mass of the cannon and its carriage is 5,000 kg, find the recoil speed of the cannon.
b) Find the maximum extension of the spring.
c) Find the maximum force the spring exerts on its carriage.
d) Consider the system consisting of the cannon, carriage and shell. Is the momentum conserved when firing? Why or Why not?
*I attaches a pic sorry that it is bad
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/phatballar4/Jordan/physics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We ask that you show an attempt to solve problems before we start telling you what needs to be done. Here is a hint. There are two conservations principles at work here, and they can be applied sequentially rather than simultaneously.

1. What is momentum and why is it important in physics?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the quantity of motion of a moving object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, and it is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How do I calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m x v, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity. The standard unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).

3. How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while momentum tells us how difficult it would be to stop the object's motion.

4. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum of all objects after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How can I use momentum to solve problems in physics?

Momentum is a useful tool for solving problems in physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. By using the law of conservation of momentum and the momentum formula, we can calculate the momentum of objects before and after collisions, and use this information to analyze and solve various problems in physics.