Inclined planes, mass' effect on final velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses an extended practical investigation involving a ramp, a truck, and a stopwatch. The person performing the investigation predicted that the mass of the truck would not affect the final velocity, but their results showed a minor increase in velocity with larger masses. They speculate that this could be due to friction or a faulty hypothesis. Another person suggests that the presence of air resistance could explain the variation in results.
Clef
Okay, so I've been working on an extended practical investigation. And I am a little stuck. Heres a brief overview:
Using a ramp(always at the same angle to the horizontal), and a truck and a stopwatch, I've timed the amount of time it takes for the truck to reach the bottom of the ramp, with different masses. Whilst I predicted that the mass would have no effect on the final velocity because it would not effect the acceleration, my results show that the larger the mass, the final velocity would increase very minorly. Why is this? I am guessing it has to do with friction, or perhaps my hypothesis was incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clef said:
Okay, so I've been working on an extended practical investigation. And I am a little stuck. Heres a brief overview:
Using a ramp(always at the same angle to the horizontal), and a truck and a stopwatch, I've timed the amount of time it takes for the truck to reach the bottom of the ramp, with different masses. Whilst I predicted that the mass would have no effect on the final velocity because it would not effect the acceleration, my results show that the larger the mass, the final velocity would increase very minorly. Why is this? I am guessing it has to do with friction, or perhaps my hypothesis was incorrect?
Theoretically, with rolling friction/axle friction coefficients assumed equal for all trucks, their speed would be the same at the bottom, in a vacuum . Your experiment is taking place in air. Thoughts?

air resistance, of course!:)

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is sloped at an angle. It is often used to make it easier to lift heavy objects by decreasing the amount of force needed to move them.

2. How does an inclined plane affect the final velocity of an object?

An inclined plane can increase or decrease the final velocity of an object, depending on its angle and the force applied. If the angle of the inclined plane is shallow, the object will have a lower final velocity, but if the angle is steep, the object will have a higher final velocity.

3. How does mass impact the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object has a direct impact on its final velocity on an inclined plane. Heavier objects have a greater mass, which means they require more force to move. This results in a lower final velocity compared to lighter objects with less mass.

4. Is there an optimal angle for an inclined plane to achieve the highest final velocity?

Yes, there is an optimal angle for an inclined plane to achieve the highest final velocity. This angle is around 45 degrees, as it allows for the most efficient use of force to move the object while minimizing the effects of friction.

5. How does friction affect the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in determining the final velocity of an object on an inclined plane. It acts in the opposite direction of the movement, slowing down the object. The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the friction, resulting in a lower final velocity.