Is My Lack of Concentration Hindering My Studies?

• Thread starter rahuldandekar
  • Start date
In summary: I think you should try studying in a group. When you do so, you feel motivated and you will forced to act different since you are in front of people. Unless you and your friends start to move away from the real purpose together, you should be able to concentrate in studies.try and make a point of going somewhere that's well-lit and relatively quiet. I find that doing so helps me "get in the mood"I have similar issues. I've decided I actually work when I'm at school instead of home so I'll travel to school to do work on Saturdays... all in the name of graduating :)try thinking of what will happen if you never study to get you motivatedHave you tried studying in a physics study group?
rahuldandekar
Nowadays, I have a lot of problems concentrating on studies. I mean, I just can't concentrate...

One reason is that I get distracted easily. If I am stuck for a moment in my study, I take the remote in my hand and switch on the TV. I think I can work hard to battle this problem.

But on the second problem, I don't know what to do. Even if the TV is on and I am studying, even if it is on low volume, it irritates me. I can't concentrate. And hen I lose my temper a bit, stop studying, or just go to another room where I still can't study because I'm irritated.

I think a lot of subconscious beliefs go into studying. A lot of this is just psychological, but I don't know how to combat it. any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol, i kinda get what you mean.

-I always to turn on the PC if i am in front of it.
-I also get very sleepy when i try to concentrate.
-Or i suddenly start relating my studies to something, then my thoughts move to something else.

What you can do is to study in groups. When you do so, you feel motivated and you will forced to act different since you are in front of people. Unless you and your friends start to move away from the real purpose together, you should be able to concentrate in studies.

try and make a point of going somewhere that's well-lit and relatively quiet. I find that doing so helps me "get in the mood"

I have similar issues. I've decided I actually work when I'm at school instead of home so I'll travel to school to do work on Saturdays... all in the name of graduating :)

try thinking of what will happen if you never study to get you motivated

Have you tried studying in a physics study group? When everyone around you expects you to work, it tends to be easier. As an undergrad I also used to do my homework in the physics club's room. There are plenty of distractions at home, and it's often easier to work when you eliminate them by changing the setting to something more conducive of physics.

Thanks... I think I'll sit in my college library once the third year starts, but until then, I have to stay at home. I do get myself motivated by saying that I just can't go anywhere if I don't study, and it often works.

The concentration problem, I'm trying to solve, but not getting distracted, reading stuff aloud if there is a distraction, making an effort. :)

I've never been able to study well at home, I have to be somewhere else. I don't seem to have a problem studying when I'm at school, so that's where I do my homework and I don't have a problem staying on task.

I have a friend however that is much like you. The way he deals with it is to get dropped off at school saturday and sundays without his laptop and without his cell phone. The only possible thing he can do at that point is study until it's time to get picked up. He has gone from getting C's and D's to A's and B's. It's kind of an extream case, but it works for him.

My university library has "study rooms" you can check out for up to 4 hours at a time. The rooms are pretty much small little boxes that on average contain: a desk, three chairs, florencent lights, and a set of plugs (ethernet, phone, and standard electric). They are also, generally, sound proof.

If I really need to get something done, I tend to go there myself. Locking myself in a room with no distractions (besides my computer...I tend to use to access the library's catelog from the study room, rather than try to deal with their glitchy machines), tends to get the job done.

Though if I need a chalk board, there is a physics "lab" that only majors/grad students (aside from 1 chem major and 1 bio major who also have the password) can access. But it tends to be distracting in there on weekdays (weekends/fridays the place is empty and the blackboards are my domain).

I can't study at all at home either. I make trips out of my way to the library and find an isolated corner where there is no TV, Computer, or any other distraction (like hot females walking by)

What causes difficulty in concentration?

There are many potential causes for difficulty in concentration, such as stress, fatigue, distraction, and mental health conditions like ADHD or anxiety. It is important to identify the specific underlying cause in order to find effective solutions.

How can I improve my concentration?

Improving concentration can involve implementing strategies such as taking breaks, using a planner or to-do list, minimizing distractions, practicing mindfulness or meditation, and getting enough sleep and exercise. It may also be helpful to seek support from a therapist or doctor if there are underlying mental health concerns.

Is there a way to measure concentration?

Yes, there are various tests and assessments that can be used to measure concentration, such as the Continuous Performance Test (CPT), the Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA), or the Stroop Test. These tests may be used by healthcare professionals to diagnose attention-related disorders or to track progress in treatment.

Can certain foods or supplements improve concentration?

While there is some evidence that certain foods and supplements, such as omega-3 fatty acids, caffeine, and B vitamins, may have a positive impact on concentration, the research is limited and results may vary for each individual. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant dietary changes or taking supplements.

When should I seek professional help for difficulty in concentration?

If difficulty in concentration is significantly impacting your daily life, relationships, or work/school performance, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. A therapist or doctor can help identify the underlying cause and develop a personalized treatment plan. Additionally, if you have concerns about underlying mental health conditions, it is important to seek professional help for proper diagnosis and treatment.