How to make clear ice.clear ice

• Thread starter artrix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, Artrix was trying to make clear ice glasses but wasn't able to because of the circulating water. She thought about making a vessel that would be airtight and place water into it and pull the air out, but it didn't work. She also tried boiling the water to get rid of some gas dissolved in it and placing the vessel into the freezer to freeze it, but it didn't work. She thinks that maybe slowly cooling down the water will help.
artrix
hello i want to make a number of ice glasses and i need to make them clear and bubble free. i know that you can make clear ice if the water is circulating in the container as it freezes but due the number of glasses i need to make this method is not possible.
i did think about doing a couple of experiments with partial vacuums and increased air pressure. what are your ideas? i have thought of making a vessel that would be air tight placing some water into it and pullling it down to half normal outside air pressure ie 7 psi as apposed to 14.7 psi. i would then place the conatiner into a freezer and leave over night to see if the air trapped in the water would be pushed out , leaving clear ice. i then thought about doing the same experiment with the same vessel but increasing the pressure to double or more of 14.7 psi and then placing the vessel into the freezer and letting it freeze. any isdeas on what i could expect? cheers...

i also hearda bout placing propylene glucol to the watre and letting it freeze any ideas regards that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it you use distilled water and boil it first then let it cool to room temp before you freeze it the ice will be clear. Pour it gently so you do not get any more gas to mix in.
Boiling gets rid of some of the gas dissolved in the water.

nope tried the boiled distilled water idea and it didnt work...what about the vacuum or increased pressure idea?

I would think a vacuum might suck some of the gas out, give it a try.
Try building up thin layers, that is why icicles are clear.
Maybe it has to do with how fast it freezes.
Fast freezing = little or no crystals

A while ago I believe Danger (could easily be someone else) posted to put boiled distilled water in aluminum foil and put it in the freezer. We were discussing why there are bubbles in ice.

Wasn't me, Mk; I've never run into this problem before. I might have a solution based upon the circulating water, though.
Artrix, you said that you can't use moving water because of the number of glasses involved. I don't know whether you mean glasses full of ice or glasses made of ice.
In any event, I'm wondering about making a mould with several glass-shaped cavities out of something like silicone or really stiff gelatin. Use a small aquarium pump and a water reservois and stick the whole thing in your freezer (yeah, the pump cord will have to stick out through the door).
Once frozen, you can demould the slugs and fit them into your glasses (or demould your glasses and fill them with vodka. :biggrin: )

Last edited:
we need to make 100 at a time and we are still wondering how its done...it can be done as we have examples but no idea of how it was made. the process has to be time managable...its no use if we have to make them 5 or 10 at a time..

Wouldn't glasses made of ice water down your beverage?

I think you will need to freeze the water very slowly in order to make sure it is clear, if you have ever noticed when messing around with liquid nitrogen if yo put a bottle of water into a bucket of the stuff, the ice you get out of it is "cloudy"

if you can try freezng it by starting at room temp, then decrease the temp at regular intervals until they are frozen solid. Gives the water time to rearrange the molecules.

what is the ice to be used for? or what is the size of ice u want? i think i have ur solution.

Even in that thread! It seemed like Chronos's solution (the one I referred to before, with Danger) was inconclusive.

pouring a thin slow moving water over a special evaporator plate would freeze the water fast and u would have a collecter that removes the ice off the evaporator and guides it into a dispenser..

They want to make ice drink glasses if i have understood what they said. What you have given is just for basic ice formations. I think

I presume the person in question is using molds to shape the ice into glasses. In which case slowly cooling down the water from room temperature to freezing point should do the trick.

I'm talking over a time period of days not hours like normal ice formation

Damn, I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread here, but did you guys ever come up with any other methods that worked well?
I tried one using a cooler and some party cups, it seemed to work the best out of all the articles I found.
http://www.icedropmaker.com/2011/02/how-to-make-clear-ice-that-actually-works/

Anyway, just curious if someone else came up with a good method as I am still in search!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well guys Very interesting ideas here...
To be honest I've tried many things. the only thing that seems to work is if u have access to an ultrasonic transducer, u can make a plate or similar viabrate as long as the ice is freeying. Due to the high frequency of the viabrations you won't get any air bubbles or surface deformation. Give it a try. :)

well if your glass of ice is subjected to the slightest temprature difference microscopic cracks will form due to heat stresses and I assure you it won't be clear at all.

1. How does clear ice differ from regular ice?

Clear ice is made by freezing water slowly and without any impurities or air bubbles. This allows the ice to freeze uniformly, resulting in a crystal-clear appearance. Regular ice, on the other hand, is often made quickly and may contain impurities and air bubbles, making it appear cloudy or white.

2. Can I make clear ice at home?

Yes, it is possible to make clear ice at home by using a few simple techniques. One method is to boil water and let it cool before freezing it. Another method is to use a cooler or insulated container to freeze the water slowly. You can also purchase clear ice molds that can help create clear ice cubes.

3. What temperature should I freeze the water at to make clear ice?

The ideal temperature for making clear ice is between 32°F and 40°F (0°C and 4°C). This allows the water to freeze slowly and evenly, resulting in clear ice. If the temperature is too low, the water may freeze too quickly and trap impurities and air bubbles.

4. How long does it take to make clear ice?

The time it takes to make clear ice can vary depending on the method you use and the size of the ice cubes. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days. Boiling and cooling the water can take a few hours, while freezing in a cooler can take a day or two.

5. Can I use tap water to make clear ice?

While it is possible to use tap water to make clear ice, it may not produce the best results. Tap water may contain impurities and minerals that can affect the clarity of the ice. It is recommended to use filtered or distilled water for the best results when making clear ice.