Get Rich; The Secrets Of Trade ->

• Thread starter deda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    trade
In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical situation in which three people have equal resources and are free to define the rules of trade. The goal is to "outrich" the others and become the wealthiest person. Various strategies are proposed, including innovation and marketing, creating a monopoly through manipulation and exploitation, and using deception and manipulation to gain control over the others' resources. Ultimately, it is suggested that in a fair and equal system, outriching others is not possible.
deda
Ok,

This is some physical problem translated in the field of trade.
Say we have you, me and some third person, each with 5 apples and 5 dollars. Having money makes you capable to buy. Having apples makes you able to sale certainly. How do you outrich the rest of us?
Know that you're free to define the rules of trade as long as they apply equally for every one.

Outriching the others is ending up of all the apples and all the money in one person.

Finding rich man in some desert is very rare. The real place for the rich man to be is at the center of the society. So in other words my problem is how does one get in the center of the society supressing all the others out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Innovation and marketing.

Make applesauce. Sell one serving of applesauce for 1 dollar and 1 apple. When you have all the apples, convince everyone applesauce is no good. Offer to buy back 2 applesauces for 1 dollar. When one of the guys starts to object, pay the other one to beat the crap out of him. After they fight, and the winner is hurt, beat him up. Take all the money, apples and applesauce.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
Innovation and marketing.

Make applesauce. Sell one serving of applesauce for 1 dollar and 1 apple. When you have all the apples, convince everyone applesauce is no good. Offer to buy back 2 applesauces for 1 dollar. When one of the guys starts to object, pay the other one to beat the crap out of him. After they fight, and the winner is hurt, beat him up. Take all the money, apples and applesauce.

Njorl
Is this what you will do?
Then me and the third guy will do the same.
Where does it lead?

Originally posted by deda
Is this what you will do?
Then me and the third guy will do the same.
Where does it lead?

If everybody has the same resources and everybody is constrained to act the same way, I suggest we just eat the apples and burn the money, but that wasn't what you asked originally. You asked what I would do to "outrich" the others. Personally, I have not really been big on the idea of outriching people, but I am enthusiastic about finding good solutions to hypothetical situations.

Let's change the situation. I have 13 apples and no dollars. You and the other guy have one apple and 1 million dollars each. How much should I charge you for an apple?

Njorl

First I convince you that the other guy wants to steal your apples. Then I offer to insure you (for a fee) that if he does I will buy you another apple, which you can also insure (with an increase in the fee because you have a history of having apples stolen.)

Next, I convince you that your money isn't safe. (Afterall, someone already stole your apple.) So I offer to hold your money for you (for a fee) and charge you another fee every time you want to use it.

Now that you are paying fees for your money and insurance for your apples, you need financial help, so I offer to sell shares of your apple business to the other guy (for a fee). The other guy borrows some of your money from me (for a fee) and buys 51% of your apple business and throws you out of the company.

Now that you are broke, you steal an apple from the other guy. I offer to insure his apples...

Originally posted by Njorl
If everybody has the same resources and everybody is constrained to act the same way, I suggest we just eat the apples and burn the money, but that wasn't what you asked originally. You asked what I would do to "outrich" the others. Personally, I have not really been big on the idea of outriching people, but I am enthusiastic about finding good solutions to hypothetical situations.

Let's change the situation. I have 13 apples and no dollars. You and the other guy have one apple and 1 million dollars each. How much should I charge you for an apple?

Njorl
Actually, that was my point:
If every body starts with equal resources and all the defined rules apply equally for every body then there is no point of trade. No way one can outrich the others cause despite all the trade every next situation will be same as any previous regarding the system as a whole.

Originally posted by Artman
First I convince you that the other guy wants to steal your apples. Then I offer to insure you (for a fee) that if he does I will buy you another apple, which you can also insure (with an increase in the fee because you have a history of having apples stolen.)

Next, I convince you that your money isn't safe. (Afterall, someone already stole your apple.) So I offer to hold your money for you (for a fee) and charge you another fee every time you want to use it.

Now that you are paying fees for your money and insurance for your apples, you need financial help, so I offer to sell shares of your apple business to the other guy (for a fee). The other guy borrows some of your money from me (for a fee) and buys 51% of your apple business and throws you out of the company.

Now that you are broke, you steal an apple from the other guy. I offer to insure his apples...
I'll use the same methods of protection as those you provide knowing that I'm capable of it because we all start with same resources.

If one anyway othrich the others he must have been cheating.

Not everyone in this world is equally intelligent. If someone outriched everyone else who were trying to get rich (did someone say Bill Gates?) he's just smarter than them, not a cheater.

Timing also plays an important role. If someone stole one of your apples and I saw that it had happened, I would be in a position to offer insurance knowing you would have that fear of having another apple stolen.

As Njorl and Artman both demonstrated, intelligence, creativity and skill will change the balance even if everyone starts off with the same resources.

originally posted by deda - Then me and the third guy will do the same.
Where does it lead?
Njorl made applesauce, what makes you think that you and the other guy can figure out how to make it?

Originally posted by Evo
Njorl made applesauce, what makes you think that you and the other guy can figure out how to make it?

Njorl will probably takes steps to protect his invention of the applesauce press, making it illegal for the rest of you to make applesauce without buying the machine from him.

1. What is trade and how does it make people rich?

Trade refers to the buying and selling of goods and services. By engaging in trade, individuals can make a profit by buying goods at a lower price and selling them at a higher price. This allows for the accumulation of wealth and leads to financial success.

2. What are the secrets to successful trading?

The key to successful trading is to have a thorough understanding of the market and the products being traded. This includes conducting research, staying informed on market trends, and making well-informed decisions. Additionally, having a strong risk management strategy and being disciplined in following it is crucial for successful trading.

3. Is trading a risky way to get rich?

Like any other form of investment, trading involves a certain level of risk. However, by educating oneself, conducting research, and implementing effective risk management strategies, the risk can be minimized. It is important to remember that there is no guaranteed way to get rich, and trading should be approached with caution and careful planning.

4. Can anyone become rich through trading?

While anyone can engage in trading, it takes a certain set of skills, knowledge, and dedication to become successful and accumulate wealth. It is important to have a strong understanding of the market, as well as the patience and discipline to follow through with trading strategies. Additionally, having a financial cushion to withstand potential losses is important for successful trading.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trading?

Some common mistakes to avoid when trading include not conducting thorough research, not having a solid risk management strategy, and making impulsive decisions. It is also important to avoid being influenced by emotions and to have realistic expectations. Additionally, diversifying investments and not putting all eggs in one basket can help mitigate risk.