Integral square error computation

In summary: However, in your case, you only have the final solution of 4εA^2. This means that the ISE is actually equal to 4εA^2, as you mentioned. Therefore, the summary of our conversation is:In summary, we discussed the computation of integral square error between two square waves, one ideal and the other asymmetric. We defined the equations for these waves and showed how to integrate the squared difference to find the ISE. The final solution is 4εA^2. I hope this helps!
brad sue
Hi,
I am struggling computing the integral square error between two square waves. one is ideal and the other is assymetric.
the equation for the assymetric is:
x(t)=
A for |t|<=To/4+ε/2
and
-A for (To/4)+(ε/2)<|t|<=To/2

we were asked to plot the ideal( without the ε) and actual (or assymetric) waveforms and compute the integral square error between the two waveforms.

I only have the final solution which is 4εA^2. I cannot find it
Please can someone help me?

Thank you
B

Physics news on Phys.org
renda

Hi Brenda,

I can definitely help you with computing the integral square error between these two square waves. First, let's define the ideal square wave as x1(t) and the asymmetric wave as x2(t). We can write the equations for these waves as:

x1(t) = A for |t| <= To/4
x2(t) = A for |t| <= To/4 + ε/2 and x2(t) = -A for (To/4) + (ε/2) < |t| <= To/2

To compute the integral square error, we need to integrate the squared difference between x1(t) and x2(t) over the time interval from -To/2 to To/2. This can be written as:

ISE = ∫[x1(t) - x2(t)]^2 dt from -To/2 to To/2

Since x1(t) and x2(t) are both square waves, we can simplify this to:

ISE = ∫(A - x2(t))^2 dt from -To/2 to To/2

Next, we need to break this integral into two parts, one for the first half of the wave (from -To/2 to 0) and one for the second half (from 0 to To/2). This is because the waveforms are different in each half. So our integral becomes:

ISE = ∫(A - x2(t))^2 dt from -To/2 to 0 + ∫(A - x2(t))^2 dt from 0 to To/2

Now, we can substitute the equations for x2(t) into each integral:

ISE = ∫(A - A)^2 dt from -To/2 to 0 + ∫(A - (-A))^2 dt from 0 to To/2
ISE = ∫(0)^2 dt from -To/2 to 0 + ∫(2A)^2 dt from 0 to To/2

Simplifying further, we get:

ISE = 0 + 4A^2 ∫dt from 0 to To/2
ISE = 0 + 4A^2 (To/2 - 0)
ISE = 2A^2To

Now, we can see that the ISE depends on the amplitude and period of the square wave.

What is integral square error (ISE) computation?

ISE computation is a method used to measure the accuracy of an estimator or model by calculating the sum of the squared differences between the predicted values and the actual values over a continuous time interval.

How is ISE computed?

To compute ISE, the squared differences between the predicted and actual values are summed over the time interval, and then the result is divided by the length of the interval. This gives an average measure of the squared error over the entire interval.

What is the purpose of using ISE?

ISE is used to evaluate the performance of an estimator or model, as it provides a measure of how well the predicted values match the actual values. It can also be used to compare the performance of different models or estimators.

What are the limitations of ISE?

ISE does not take into account the direction of the errors, meaning that positive and negative errors are weighted equally. It also does not consider the magnitude of the errors, so larger errors may be given the same weight as smaller ones.

Can ISE be used for non-continuous data?

No, ISE is specifically designed for continuous data. For discrete data, other error metrics such as mean squared error or mean absolute error may be more appropriate.