Determining Velocity with Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the velocity at which an arrow hits a balloon, given its initial velocity, distance from the launch point, and height. The first step is to use the four distance and velocity equations to calculate the possible angles at which the arrow can hit the balloon. Then, using the given information, the final velocity can be calculated using the Vy=Voy+at formula or another suitable s-u-v-a-t formula. It is important to determine which of the two possible Vy values to use and then use that along with Vx to calculate the final velocity.
TexasCow

Homework Statement

Ok I am having slight trouble with a homework problem. An arrow was launched at an angle, and hit a balloon that was 150m away and 100m up. I used my distance equations along with initial velocity to calculate the two angles that can be used to hit the balloon, but I'm stuck on the next part. I used t=dx/vx to solve for time, and now I need to solve for the velocity when the arrow hits the balloon. I'm sure it's a simple problem but I'm stuck!

Initial Velocity=60m/s
Distance from 0=150m
Height in Y direction=100m

dy=Voy(t)-4.9t^2

Vx=Vcos(x)
Vy=Vsin(x)

t=dx/vx

I used the four equations above to solve for the angle(s). Then put in the velocities to solve for time. How do I solve for velocity when the arrow hits the balloon?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know vertical displacement, you can calculate Vy. Vx will remain constant.

Should I use Vy=Voy+at?

Yes, if you know V0y and t, you can use that to solve for Vy. You already know that Vx= V0x.

Yes, I know that Vx is constant throughout the motion. So using Vy=Voy+at, I can solve for the velocity at anyone point in time at a certain height?

You are given height, acceleration due to gravity, and initial Vy. Think of some other s-u-v-a-t formula which could give you final Vy at a given height more quickly!

P.S.:
1. You will get two Vy at a particular heght.. I hope you can decide which one to take!
2. From Vy thus obtained and Vx, you can, of course, obtain final velocity.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and the object follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is velocity determined in projectile motion?

Velocity in projectile motion is determined by taking into account the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. The horizontal velocity remains constant while the vertical velocity changes due to the acceleration of gravity.

3. What is the formula for determining velocity in projectile motion?

The formula for determining velocity in projectile motion is v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time interval.

4. Can the velocity in projectile motion change?

Yes, the velocity in projectile motion can change. The horizontal velocity remains constant, but the vertical velocity changes due to the acceleration of gravity. As a result, the overall velocity also changes.

5. What factors affect the velocity in projectile motion?

The velocity in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the mass of the object, and the air resistance. These factors can change the trajectory and velocity of the object.