Heat Loss Through Wall: Thermal Resistance Calculation

In summary, the wall of a house has a wooden outer layer with an R factor of 1.0, a fiberglass layer with an R factor of 11, and a gypsum-board inner layer with an R factor of 0.33. When the temperature difference between inside and outside is 72 degrees Fahrenheit, the rate of heat loss through an 8ft by 15ft section of this wall is 1080 BTU/h. This is found by summing the R factors and multiplying by the surface area, taking into account the units of power per unit area.
Math Jeans

Homework Statement

The wall of a house consists of three layers: A wooden outer wall with an R factor of 1.0, a 3 inch layer of fiberglass with an R factor of 11, and a gypsium-board inner wall with an R factor of 0.33. (All R factors are in h*ft^2*F/BTU). When the temperature is 68 degrees Fahrenheit inside, and -4.0 outside, what is the rate of heat loss through an 8ft by 15ft section of this wall.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was a little confused as to what they means by "R factor", and basically tried to add of the R factors as the regular resistance, and calculate the heat loss through:

rate of heat flow= (delta)T/R_eq

However (not suprisingly), I was wrong. I know I am missing something with this problem, but I cannot figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've read, you just sum them, so Rwood+Rfiberglass+Rgypsum=Rtotal and that's what you use.

Make sure you take into account the surface area that was given, a quick check of your units in the equation you end up using should show an extra ft^2 that shouldn't be there

So are you saying that the R Factor is the resistance per square foot?

Well the R-factor's units wouldn't make that make sense.

If you look at your equation, which is correct but not quite finished, you have said

rate of heat flow = deltaT/R

rate of heat flow is power. R is in units of temp*area/power, deltaT is temp

so you've said rate of heat flow = power/area, which isn't true

What that equation gives you is power per unit area. Now you need to multiply by the actual area to find the net power

Ok. I'll try again. So I need to take the original answer I got (basically taking the R-factors and treating them like the actual resistance of each part of the wall), and multiplying that answer by the area?

1. What is the definition of heat loss through wall?

Heat loss through wall refers to the transfer of heat from the inside of a building to the outside through the walls. This can occur through conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How is heat loss through wall calculated?

Heat loss through wall can be calculated by determining the thermal resistance of the wall, which is the measure of a material's ability to resist heat flow. This is calculated by dividing the thickness of the wall by the thermal conductivity of the material.

3. What factors affect heat loss through wall?

The factors that affect heat loss through wall include the thickness and material of the wall, outside temperature, inside temperature, and presence of insulation. Wind speed, humidity, and orientation of the wall can also impact heat loss.

4. How does insulation impact heat loss through wall?

Insulation can significantly reduce heat loss through walls by providing an extra layer of thermal resistance. It helps to trap heat inside the building and prevents it from escaping through the walls. The type and quality of insulation used also play a role in its effectiveness.

5. What are some methods to reduce heat loss through wall?

Some methods to reduce heat loss through walls include adding insulation, using thermal barriers such as reflective coatings, sealing any cracks or gaps in the walls, and using energy-efficient windows and doors. Properly maintaining and upgrading the building's heating system can also help to reduce heat loss through walls.