CS to Civil/Structural Engineering

In summary, the person is asking about a way to do Civil Engineering without going back to school. There are degrees you can get that will allow you to do Civil Engineering, but it may not be a good idea to do it without a PE.
Llama77
I used to be a Computer engineering student and was a bit behind in math, so I went through the majority of my CS course without doing the EE. In 1 more year I will graduate with a CS degree.

I don't like the EE stuff to be honest, but like the other more mechanics type engineering. I don't want a Computer Engineering degree, I am fine with the CS. What I now really want to do is Civil. I saw a Civil friend of mine in school doing Structural analysis and I really liked it.

So what I am asking is with my new interest, is there a way to do Civil in Graduate school, instead of having to go back for another 4 year degree, which I really don't want to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, just apply for a masters program in Civil. You might have to make up expected background that you're missing.

You should look into what is necessary to becoming a professional engineer in your chosen field. It may be more important for work as a civil engineer than in some other areas. It is possible that you could never be a licensed PE without a B.S. engineering degree. I think this varies by state, but I am not sure.

BN is correct on all counts, including the part he's not sure about.

Getting a PE license is not always necessary, even for Civil. It does however pose limits if you don't have one, and more so in Civil Engineering than other fields. Basically, there are legal and insurance constraints such that you need the license to sign off on certain things, to legally open your own engineering firm, to use the title engineer, and so forth. It does vary a lot. Some states will give you a license based on experience or leave the PE exam more or less open access, but many require completion of an accredited B.S. program.

There's still plenty you can do without the license. It is something you need to evaluate for yourself.

A PE is important in civil engineering, and you need an accredited degree to get it. Up until this past year, a department could only accredit one of its programs, and for obvious reasons the BS degree would be accredited. Someone could hold a civil engineering PhD and still not be able to sign off plans. So, in time masters programs will start being accredited, you might want to look into it.

However, mechanical or aerospace might be something to look into, as solid mechanics is a big part of the curriculum. Your computational background would probably be of great use in there too, especially at the graduate level.

ekrim said:
Up until this past year, a department could only accredit one of its programs, and for obvious reasons the BS degree would be accredited. ... So, in time masters programs will start being accredited, you might want to look into it.

I hadn't heard that, and it's a rather interesting bit of news. Thank you. I'll have to fire off an e-mail to see how our College of Engineering is dealing with this...:biggrin:

Asphodel said:
I hadn't heard that, and it's a rather interesting bit of news. Thank you. I'll have to fire off an e-mail to see how our College of Engineering is dealing with this...:biggrin:

Here's an FAQ from ASCE on the issue:
http://www.asce.org/professional/PDLA-FAQ-040108.pdf

It's good news for the field hoppers out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've just noticed that I am good with my hands. I like designing Physical system, rather than theoretical computer ones.

Llama77 said:
I think I've just noticed that I am good with my hands. I like designing Physical system, rather than theoretical computer ones.

I'd try to get a taste for the field before you make any rash decisions though. you really can't a field until you've done it. I was in civil engineering for a year in college because I liked building things, but it wasn't what I thought, and was more of an "itch" I had to scratch.

1. What is the difference between computer science and civil/structural engineering?

Computer science is a field that focuses on the study of computers and computational systems, including algorithms, programming languages, and software development. Civil/structural engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of physical structures such as buildings, bridges, and roads. While both fields involve problem-solving and critical thinking skills, they have different applications and areas of focus.

2. Can a computer science degree lead to a career in civil/structural engineering?

Yes, a computer science degree can provide a strong foundation for a career in civil/structural engineering. Many computer science skills, such as coding, data analysis, and problem-solving, are transferable to engineering. However, additional education and training in engineering principles and design may be necessary to become a licensed civil/structural engineer.

3. What skills from computer science are applicable to civil/structural engineering?

Computer science skills that are applicable to civil/structural engineering include programming, data analysis, computer-aided design (CAD), and simulation. These skills can be used in the design and analysis of structures, as well as in the development of software tools for engineering tasks.

4. Are there any specific computer science courses that are recommended for those interested in civil/structural engineering?

While there are no specific computer science courses required for civil/structural engineering, some recommended courses may include programming, data structures and algorithms, and computer-aided design. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and mechanics.

5. What job opportunities are available for individuals with both computer science and civil/structural engineering skills?

Individuals with skills in both computer science and civil/structural engineering may have a variety of job opportunities available to them, such as software engineer for an engineering firm, structural analysis software developer, or data analyst for a construction company. They may also be able to pursue research positions that combine both fields, such as developing new technologies for the construction industry.