Transfer Function for a || RLC Circuit

In summary, the conversation revolves around deriving the transfer function H(s) and H(jw) for a given circuit and the attempts made by the speaker to find the solution. They mention taking different approaches and provide their initial work, which involves finding the equivalent impedance of the parallel inductor and capacitor. They also mention being stuck at a certain point and ask for help.
TheAshlander
Hey all, I'm a new member, so nice to meet you all!

Homework Statement

I'm currently in the process for deriving the Transfer Function H(s) and H(jw) (w read as omega for angular frequency) for http://www.ebfreedom.com/fwajx/cDiag.jpg"

I have taken several approaches but have not been able to land on anything completely. I will post my initial work, albeit is not much, but is the basis for my different techniques..

Homework Equations

Vo/Vi, s = jw

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea I see here is to take the Equivalent Impedance of the Inductor and Capacitor in parallel, along with the internal resistance of the inductor. Oh yeah, the output voltage is to be read across the capacitor (or the open circuit). Well, here's the math:

I'll call R the series addition of R3 and R4, and R5 will be the internal resistance of the inductor.

Equiv Imp. of parallel inductor & capacitor: ((Ls + R5)/(Cs))/(Ls+R5+1/cS)) can be simplified to ((Ls+R5)/(CLs^2 + R5Cs + 1))

into the formal equation: Vo/Vi => (1/Cs)/(R + ((Ls+R5)/(CLs^2 + R5Cs + 1))

i have been completely lost after this point.. Please help?

If you would like to see my failed attempts, I will surely post them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call Z the impedance of the parallel inductor-capacitor. Using a voltage divider you get:
[tex]\frac{V_o}{V_i}=\frac{Z}{R+Z}[/tex]

If it's possible to please delete this post, please do so! I can't find the delete post button and I can't seem to edit my own post..

1. What is a transfer function for a parallel RLC circuit?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of how a system responds to different input signals. In the case of a parallel RLC circuit, it describes the relationship between the input voltage and the output current of the circuit.

2. How is the transfer function for a parallel RLC circuit calculated?

The transfer function for a parallel RLC circuit can be calculated by taking the Laplace transform of the differential equation that represents the circuit, and then solving for the ratio of the output current to the input voltage.

3. What does the transfer function tell us about a parallel RLC circuit?

The transfer function provides important information about the behavior of a parallel RLC circuit, such as its frequency response, resonant frequency, and bandwidth. It can also be used to analyze the stability and performance of the circuit.

4. How does the transfer function change for different values of resistance, inductance, and capacitance in a parallel RLC circuit?

The transfer function is affected by changes in the values of resistance, inductance, and capacitance in a parallel RLC circuit. For example, increasing the resistance will result in a lower resonant frequency and a wider bandwidth, while increasing the inductance will have the opposite effect.

5. Can the transfer function for a parallel RLC circuit be used to design or optimize the circuit?

Yes, the transfer function can be used for circuit design and optimization. By manipulating the values of resistance, inductance, and capacitance, the transfer function can be modified to achieve specific performance goals, such as better frequency response or increased bandwidth.