What is the electron configuration for Gd?

In summary, the electron configuration for Gd is [Xe]6s24f75d1. This differs from the expected 6s24f8 configuration due to the close energy levels of 4f and 5d orbitals. This is an exception to the usual rule, and it is important to remember such exceptions for accurate electron configurations.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

What is the electron configuration for Gd?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Gd has 64 electrons, I would assume that the electron config. is:

[Xe]6s24f8

Apparently this is wrong. The hint the question gives is that the last two orbitals are only half full... so I guess it would be something like:

[Xe]6s24f75d1

But why? According to my diagram, the 4f level fills up before the 5d level does, so why wouldn't it take all 14 spaces for the electrons?

And if the 4f level doesn't really fill up before the 5d level, then why do lower levels fill up in weird orders like (1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2). Eg. Why does it jump from s to p then back to s?

Physics news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:
[Xe]6s24f75d1

But why? According to my diagram, the 4f level fills up before the 5d level does, so why wouldn't it take all 14 spaces for the electrons?

4f and 5d are very close in terms of energy levels. In such case strange things may happen. Half filled orbital is slightly more stable than orbital with one additional electron. You put 7 electrons on 4f and when you add next electron it may land on 4f - but then you loose half orbital premioum - or on 5d. It happens that the latter version is energetically better.

And if the 4f level doesn't really fill up before the 5d level, then why do lower levels fill up in weird orders like (1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2). Eg. Why does it jump from s to p then back to s?

It is all about orbital energy level.

So is Gd an exception to the rule, then? How do I know then something is energetically better?

jumbogala said:
So is Gd an exception to the rule, then? How do I know then something is energetically better?

It is exception, and honestly, the only way to know these expception is to remember them. There are a few of them, less then five if I recall correctly. Any reasonably good general chemistry book should list them in the electron configuration section.

1. What is electron configuration?

Electron configuration is the arrangement of electrons in an atom, molecule, or other physical structure, according to the energy levels and sublevels they occupy.

2. What is the significance of electron configuration?

Electron configuration is important because it determines the chemical and physical properties of an element. It also helps predict the reactivity and bonding behavior of an atom.

3. What is the electron configuration for Gd?

The electron configuration for Gd (gadolinium) is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f7 5s2 5p6 5d1 6s2.

4. How is electron configuration determined?

Electron configuration is determined by the atomic number of an element, which indicates the number of protons in the nucleus. The electrons are then distributed into energy levels and sublevels based on the Aufbau principle, Pauli exclusion principle, and Hund's rule.

5. Why does the electron configuration for Gd deviate from the expected pattern?

The electron configuration for Gd deviates from the expected pattern because it has a half-filled 4f sublevel, which is more stable than a partially filled 5d sublevel. This is due to the unique electronic structure of the f-block elements, which can accommodate more electrons in the 4f sublevel before filling the 5d sublevel.