Chemistry: determing name of a compound.

• Thread starter kakxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the name of a compound based on its elemental analysis, 13C NMR, IR spectrum, and mass spectrum. After performing calculations and analyzing the data, it is concluded that the compound is most likely formaldehyde (methanal), with an empirical formula of H2CO. The IR spectrum and NMR spectra support this conclusion, and the mass spec also suggests that the compound is CH2O.
kakxy

Homework Statement

A compound only contains C, H and O. An elemental analysis of the compound gives the result C: 40.00%; H: 6.71%. The 13C NMR, IR spectrum and mass spectrums are in the graph below.

Graphs: http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t323/antiuniverse/graphs.gif

I need to determine the name of the compound.

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure. From the elemental analysis:

If we had 100g of compound, we'd have:
40g C
6.71g H
53.29 O

Work out the moles:
40g / 12 = 3.3333 moles of C
6.71g / 1 = 6.7100 moles of H
53.29g / 16 = 3.3306 moles of O

Divide by smallest ratio:
2.8571 / 2.8571 = 1 atom of C
6.7100 / 2.8571 = 2 atoms of H
1.1652 / 2.8571 = 1 atom of O

So the empirical formula would be H2CO (or C2H4O2?). I think the mass spectrum is telling me that the empirical formula must be H2CO (which has a molecular weight/mass of 30).

From the 13C NMR spectra I believe it's either an aldehyde or ketone. I know that H2CO is formaldehyde (methanal) which is an aldehyde and correlates with what I found in the 13C NMR spectra.

Could anybody look over this and let me know if it's correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're solid; the IR spectrum spike between 1750/cm denotes a C=O bond. The NMR spectrum implies that all hydrogens in the molecule produce the same signal, and must have the same environments (symmetrical on the molecule); this spike is also pretty far from the starting point which would mean that the hydrogens are attached to something close to oxygen (like a carbonyl carbon). I don't know how to read mass spec (for some reason my organic teacher never went over this). Your calculations look good, and CH2O seems like it's probably the answer.

Your analysis is correct. Based on the given data, the compound is most likely formaldehyde (H2CO). The 13C NMR spectrum shows a peak at around 200 ppm, which is characteristic of a carbonyl carbon in an aldehyde or ketone. The IR spectrum also shows a strong peak at around 1700 cm^-1, which is indicative of a C=O bond. Additionally, the mass spectrum shows a peak at 30 m/z, which corresponds to the molecular weight of formaldehyde. Overall, your reasoning and conclusion are sound.

1. How do you determine the name of a compound in chemistry?

The name of a compound in chemistry is determined by its chemical formula, which is a combination of symbols representing the elements present in the compound and their respective ratios. The name is derived based on the rules set by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).

2. What is the process of determining the name of a compound?

The process of determining the name of a compound involves first identifying the elements present in the compound and their respective ratios. Then, the name is determined by following the IUPAC rules, which involve identifying the functional groups and naming the compound based on its structure and properties.

3. What are the basic rules to follow when determining the name of a compound?

The basic rules to follow when determining the name of a compound include identifying the elements present, determining the functional groups, and naming the compound based on its structure and properties. It is also important to follow the correct order of precedence for functional groups and use appropriate prefixes and suffixes.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rules when determining the name of a compound?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the rules when determining the name of a compound. For example, some common compounds have retained their historical names instead of following the IUPAC rules. Additionally, certain compounds may have multiple names based on their structure, properties, or source of origin.

5. Can computer programs be used to determine the name of a compound?

Yes, there are various computer programs and software available that can help in determining the name of a compound. These programs use algorithms based on the IUPAC rules and can quickly and accurately determine the name of a compound, making it easier for chemists and scientists to identify and study new compounds.