Voltage Analysis of Parallel RC Circuit with Series Components

In summary, the conversation revolves around analyzing a circuit with 3 pairs of resistors and capacitors in parallel and a voltage source, where the voltage across the resistor in the middle pair needs to be found as a function of time. The discussion covers using Thevenin's theorem, writing KCL equations for the nodes, converting the voltage source into a current source, and using phasors for solving the circuit. The person asking for help is a math student and is working on a report on circuit modeling. They are unsure about how to analyze the circuit and are hoping for a simple solution.
henryparrot

Homework Statement

I have 3 pairs of resistors and capacitors, with each pair in parallel. These pairs are in series with another resistor and a voltage source. I have been asked to find the voltage across the resistor in the middle pair as a function of time, assuming that at time t=0 the voltage is switched on.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to approach this. In all the books i have the only rc circuits analysed are of 1st degree. I think that i need to use thevenin's theorem. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Henry. I'll move this to Intro Physics, and try to give you some guidance.

As with many problems of this type, you should write the KCL equations for the nodes in the network, and solve the problem from there. In this case, since you are asked to solve for the voltage across the resistor in the middle leg, you should only have to solve for two nodes -- the node at the top of all 3 legs (after the voltage source and its associated Rsource), and the node in the middle leg between the bottom of the resistor and its associated cap. The bottom node for all of this just call "ground", and it's the return from all 3 legs back to the voltage source.

Show us the KCL for these two nodes, and show us your try at solving them for the associated node voltages, and applying the initial condition(s).

Hi, thanks for replying.

If I am right the circuit has 4 nodes. I changed the voltage source into a current source. Here is my attempt at using KCL.
Node 1: -I1 + I2 + I3 + I4 = 0
which is -Vsupply/Rc + (V1 - V2)/Rp + C x d(V1 - V2)/dt + V1/Rsupply = 0

Node 2: I5 + I6 + I7 + I8 = 0
which is (V2 - V1)/Rp + C x d(V2 - V1)/dt + (V2 - V3)/Rc + C x d(V2 - V3)/dt = 0

Node 3: I9 + I10 + I11 + I12 = 0
which is (V3 - V2)/Rc + C x d(V3 - V2)/dt + (V3 - V4)/Rk + C x d(V3 - V4)/dt = 0

I am not sure if this is the correct way to write the current through the capacitors.

ps. sorry for the delay in replying, I left my laptop power cable at home, so have been without computer access.

It's hard to tell without seeing a circuit diagram, with the components labelled. Why did you change the voltage source into a current source?

Hi, i have attatched a file containing the circuit diagram, hope it works ok.
I changed the voltage source to a current source because this is what a book I have says to do when using nodal analysis, so you can apply KCL.
Thanks.

Attachments

• circuit.bmp
    295.7 KB · Views: 416
henryparrot said:
Hi, i have attatched a file containing the circuit diagram, hope it works ok.
I changed the voltage source to a current source because this is what a book I have says to do when using nodal analysis, so you can apply KCL.
Thanks.

The diagram still shows a voltage source, and yes it shows 4 nodes the way it's drawn. I don't usually convert to a current source -- I just write equations for all nodes in the circuit, including the one between the ideal source and its output resistance (R1 in this drawing).

Also, if you are dealing with phasors (a constant frequency), you can just use the equivalent impedance for the capacitors, instead of the differential equation relating voltage and current. Are you supposed to solve the full differential equations?

Sorry, the circuit diagram I attached was the original circuit which i was asked to analyse.
I haven't been told how to analyse the circuit really. I am a maths student, and am doing a report on the basics of circuit modelling. I was asked to finish the report by analysing this circuit. I haven't covered phasors in my report yet, I was hoping the solution would be fairly simple. So is it not possible to use differential equations for the circuit?

1. What is electrical circuit modelling?

Electrical circuit modelling is the process of creating a mathematical representation of an electrical circuit. This allows for the analysis and prediction of the behavior of the circuit, such as the flow of current and voltage, without physically building the circuit.

2. What are the benefits of using electrical circuit modelling?

There are several benefits to using electrical circuit modelling, including cost and time savings, as well as the ability to test and optimize circuit designs before physically building them. It also allows for the analysis of complex circuits that may be difficult to build and test in real life.

3. What types of circuit models are commonly used?

Some common types of circuit models include lumped element models, which use discrete components such as resistors and capacitors, and distributed element models, which take into account the physical properties of the circuit components such as their size and shape.

4. How accurate are electrical circuit models?

The accuracy of electrical circuit models depends on the complexity and level of detail included in the model. Simple models may provide a rough approximation of circuit behavior, while more complex models with more accurate component parameters can provide highly accurate results. Additionally, real-life factors such as variations in component values and environmental conditions can affect the accuracy of the model.

5. What software is commonly used for electrical circuit modelling?

There are many software options available for electrical circuit modelling, such as SPICE, LTSpice, and MATLAB. These software programs allow for the creation and simulation of circuit models, and often have additional features for design and analysis of circuits.