How can integration by parts be used to prove the Dirac delta function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving a statement involving the Dirac delta function and its derivative. The solution involves using integration by parts, with u being f(x) and dv being the delta function's derivative. The first term goes to zero because the delta function goes to zero much faster than f(x) goes to infinity. This is due to the definition of the generalized function.
zandria
1. The problem statement
Show that:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta^{(n)}(x-a) dx = (-1)^n f^{(n)}(a)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to understand how to prove:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta '(x) dx =- f'(x)[/tex]
I know that we need to use integration by parts, but I'm looking for a more detailed explanation of how to use integration by parts (what is u and what is dv?). I think if I understand this, then I will be able to apply this to the problem above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
u is f(x), dv is [itex]\delta'(x) dx[/itex].

I think you left out a minus sign. There's only one thing there than can be 'u' and only one thing that can be 'dv'.

thank you, i did leave out a minus sign. I will correct that above. Also, I think I was trying to make things more complicated than they actually are. But why does the first term when doing integration by parts go to zero?

[tex]\boxed{[f(x)\delta(x)]_{-\infty}^{\infty}} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f'(x)\delta(x) dx[/tex]

zandria said:
I am trying to understand how to prove the simple statement:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta '(x) dx =- f'(x)[/tex]
I thought it was a definition of delta-function derivative... could someone tell me if I'm wrong?

zandria said:
But why does the first term when doing integration by parts go to zero?
All that is necessary for the first term to go to zero is that delta goes to zero faster than f goes to infinity. How fast does delta go to zero?

delta tends to zero very quickly when x does not equal a (which is zero in this case) by definition of the generalized function . If that's right, then I think I get it. Thank you for your help.

zandria said:
delta tends to zero very quickly when x does not equal a (which is zero in this case) by definition of the generalized function . If that's right, then I think I get it. Thank you for your help.
Yes, that is correct. delta of x thuds to zero immediately x leaves 0, long before x gets to infinity.

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at x=0, where it is infinite. It is often used to model point particles in physics and engineering.

2. What is the purpose of proving the Dirac delta function?

The proof of the Dirac delta function is important in understanding its properties and applications in various fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and differential equations. It also helps to establish its validity as a mathematical function.

3. How is the Dirac delta function derived?

The Dirac delta function can be derived from a limit of a sequence of functions, such as a Gaussian function, as the width of the function approaches zero and the amplitude approaches infinity.

4. What are the key properties of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function has several important properties, including:

• It has an area of 1 under the curve, meaning that its integral from negative infinity to infinity is equal to 1.
  • It is even, meaning that it is symmetric about the y-axis.
  • It has the sifting property, which states that when it is multiplied by a function, it picks out the value of the function at x=0.
  • It is a distribution, not a traditional function, and therefore cannot be evaluated at specific points.

5. In what fields is the Dirac delta function commonly used?

The Dirac delta function is used in various fields, including:

• Signal processing to model impulses and spikes in a signal.
  • Quantum mechanics to represent point particles and their interactions.
  • Differential equations to model systems with instantaneous changes.