Prove a Cauchy Sequence using Geometric Sums

In summary, the given conversation discusses how to prove that a sequence {x_n} is Cauchy and hence convergent if it meets certain conditions. The conversation goes on to suggest using the inequality |x_(n+1) - x_n|<=r|x_n -x_(n-1)| and induction to show that |x_(n+1) - x_n| <= r^(n-1)|x_2 - x_1|. It also points out that x_n cannot be defined as a specific sequence, but is instead an arbitrary sequence with the given property.
mathkiddi

Homework Statement

Let {x_n} be a sequence. and let r be a real number 0<r<1. Suppose |x_(n+1) - x_n|<=r|x_n -x_(n-1)| for all n>1. Prove that {x_n} is Cauchy and hence convergent.

Homework Equations

if |r|<1 then the sequence [tex]\sum r^k[/tex] from k=0 to n converges to 1/(1-r)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I let {x_n}=r^2+r^3+...+r^n &
{x_(n+1)}=r^3+r^4+...+r^(n+1) &
{x_(n-1)}=r+r^2+..._r^(n-1)
I can then take |x_(n+1) - x_n|=|r^(n+1)-r^2|
and |x_n -x_(n-1)|=|r^n-r|

If I plug these into my given inequality I have |r^(n+1)-r^2|<=r||r^n-r|

I can then say that since we know 0<r<1 and from our relevat equations we know [tex]\sumr^k[/tex] converges then we know {x_n} is Cauchy and hence converges since every convergent sequence of real numbers is Cauchy.

I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use this
|x_(n+1) - x_n|<=r|x_n -x_(n-1)|
to show that

|x_(n+1) - x_n| <= r^(n-1)|x_2 - x_1|
which can be done by induction

By the way,
You cannot say this:
x_n=r^2+r^3+...+r^n &
x_(n+1)=r^3+r^4+...+r^(n+1) &
x_(n-1)=r+r^2+..._r^(n-1)

x_n is an ARBITRARY sequence with the property that |x_(n+1) - x_n|<=r|x_n -x_(n-1)|.

1. What is a Cauchy Sequence?

A Cauchy Sequence is a sequence of real numbers where the terms in the sequence get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This means that for any positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within that distance from each other.

2. How is a Cauchy Sequence proved using geometric sums?

A Cauchy Sequence can be proved using geometric sums by showing that the difference between consecutive terms in the sequence is decreasing as the sequence progresses. This can be done by using the formula for the sum of a geometric series and showing that the terms in the series approach zero as the number of terms increases.

3. What is the formula for the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for the sum of a geometric series is S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term in the series and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms. This formula can be used to show that the terms in the series approach zero as the number of terms increases, which is a key component in proving a Cauchy Sequence.

4. Why is proving a Cauchy Sequence important?

Proving a Cauchy Sequence is important because it is a fundamental concept in real analysis and is used to prove the convergence of sequences and series. It is also a key concept in developing the theory of completeness in metric spaces.

5. Are there other methods for proving a Cauchy Sequence?

Yes, there are other methods for proving a Cauchy Sequence, such as the ε-δ definition of a limit and the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem. However, using geometric sums is a common and relatively simple method for proving a Cauchy Sequence.