You're in pretty good shape first year physics textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for first year physics textbooks that have challenging problems for students to solve. The book "Problems in General Physics-Irodov" is suggested as a good option, although it may be slightly advanced for introductory level. Another recommendation is "An Introduction To Mechanics" by Kleppner, which may have given solutions to the problems. Additionally, Gregory's Classical Mechanics is mentioned as an alternative for students who have already taken an introductory physics course.
emyt
"you're in pretty good shape" first year physics textbooks..

Hi, I'm wondering if there were any books for which if you were able to do the problems, then you're in good shape.. For example, if you can problems from Spivak's "Calculus" book as you are in your first year, then you're in pretty good shape.

Would "Physics" 2nd / 3rd edition by Resnick (and Halliday) be something like this?Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Problems in General Physics-Irodov

Feldoh said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070350485/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's at an (slightly) advanced level, however still an introductory text.

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Right now I'm just working from an older edition of Resnick's Physics book (3rd edition from the 70s). I was wondering if anybody had anything to say about its difficulty level?

Also, there's only 1 copy in my library and it has been taken out.. this might be a longshot but are there any other books along the same lines as the one you just recommended?

Hey there, Sorry to hijack the thread as such but I was wondering if there are given solutions to the problems in "An Introduction To Mechanics" you linked before? It's not made explicit on the amazon article.

An alternative to Kleppner is Gregory's Classical Mechanics who has interesting problems.

(Gregory is preferable if you already had an introductory physics course in HS(AP)/freshmen college)

1. What topics are typically covered in a first year physics textbook?

A first year physics textbook usually covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Is prior knowledge of math necessary for understanding a first year physics textbook?

Yes, a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary for understanding the concepts and equations in a first year physics textbook.

3. Are there any recommended study strategies for mastering a first year physics textbook?

Some recommended study strategies include practicing problems regularly, taking thorough notes, actively participating in class, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed.

4. How can a first year physics textbook be used to prepare for exams?

A first year physics textbook can be used to prepare for exams by reviewing key concepts, practicing problems, and studying any additional resources provided by the textbook, such as practice quizzes or online resources.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a first year physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a first year physics textbook, such as interactive simulations, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.