Compound Gear Train Calculations

In summary, The speaker is working on a gear train with a burnt out electric motor and trying to find the gear ratio and size without cutting it up. There are 2 compound gears (B) and (C) between the gear on the motor (A) and the last gear in the train (D). The speaker is unable to measure (B) and (C) due to limited space, but they appear to be the same size as each other. (A) is 5'' from tooth tip to tooth tip and (D) is smaller than (B & C) and estimated to be around 18''. The speaker is wondering about the torque output of (D) and if there is a mathematical formula to determine the size
pest2u
Hi I hope someone can help.

I am working on a gear train with an electric motor which was burnt out and I'm trying to find the ratio and gear size without haveing to use a cutting torch to cut it up to get it out where I can work on it to measure the gear size. the gear on the motor (a) spins 1200 times to get the last gear in the train (d) to spin 1 time in between between (a) and (d) there are 2 compound gears (B) and (C) I can't get a measuring tape in the space to measure (B) and (C) but they seem to be the same size both the big gear and small gear on both

(A) is 5'' from tooth tip to tooth tip
(D) is smaller then (B & C) by a good bit and is probably 18''
the small gears on (B & C) look a little bit bigger then the gear on (A) but not buy much

How much torque comes out of (D)?
is there a mathematical formula for figureing the probible size of of ( B & C )?

thanks if you can help if not ill just have to cut it out Monday and measure before putting it back together

side note we tried to turn (D) to get (A) to spin and it wouldn't budge even after we disconnected the load on (D)
it is a small suger cain mill here in Louisiana
the use of this machine is to move old cain husks after there processed and they want it to move faster

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any more info? Like maybe a maximum size of the big part of B and C?

I think if they were like 42" big part and 6" small part if the others were 5" and 18" you'd have like 1,235 to 1...

And do B and C look like the same size I guess?

It's 1200 to 1. Had a fun time figureing that out
at what point do you measure a gear to tooth tips or mid point between the tooth tip and where it starts or from the base of the tooth?

pest2u said:
How much torque comes out of (D)?

I think you can say torque x rpm is a constant. so if the gearing results in a speed (rpm) reduction of 1200, then the torque is multiplied by 1200 (neglecting friction losses in the gear train)

It's 1200 to 1. Had a fun time figureing that out
at what point do you measure a gear to tooth tips or mid point between the tooth tip and where it starts or from the base of the tooth?

You figured that 1200 out by counting teeth, right? That would be more accurate than by measuring gear diameter or circumference.

What is a compound gear train?

A compound gear train is a type of gear system that consists of two or more gears connected to each other, allowing for increased speed or torque output.

What are the different types of compound gear trains?

The two main types of compound gear trains are the epicyclic or planetary gear train and the reverted gear train. The epicyclic gear train has its gears arranged around a central gear, while the reverted gear train has its gears arranged in a straight line.

What are the advantages of using a compound gear train?

Compound gear trains can provide a greater speed or torque output compared to a single gear system. They also allow for more precise control and adjustment of speed and torque, making them useful in many mechanical applications.

How do you calculate the gear ratio of a compound gear train?

To calculate the gear ratio of a compound gear train, you can use the formula: Gear Ratio = (Number of Teeth on Driven Gear / Number of Teeth on Driving Gear) x (Number of Teeth on Driven Gear / Number of Teeth on Driving Gear). This will give you the overall gear ratio of the system.

What are some common applications of compound gear trains?

Compound gear trains are commonly used in machines and devices that require precise control over speed and torque, such as automobiles, bicycles, and industrial machinery. They are also used in clocks and watches to regulate the movement of the hands.