What is the Formula for Entries in an Nxn Hilbert Matrix?

In the third row, where i= 3, the denominators are: j= 1, 3; j= 2, 4; j= 3, 5; j= 4, 6;... which are j+ 2= j+ i- 1 again. In the nth row, where i= n, the denominators are: j= 1, n; j= 2, n+1; j= 3, n+ 2; j= 4, n+3;... which are j+ (n-1)= j+ i- 1 again. So the general form is h_i_j= \frac{1}{
sponsoredwalk
[tex] \begin{bmatrix}
1 & \frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{3} \ldots & \ldots & \frac{1}{n}\\

\frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{4} \ldots & \ldots & \frac{1}{n + 1}\\

\frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{4} & \right \frac{1}{5}\ldots & \ldots & \frac{1}{n + 2}\\

\vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots\\

\frac{1}{n} & \frac{1}{n + 1} & \frac{1}{n + 2} & \ldots & \frac{1}{2n - 1}

\end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Express the individual entries [tex]h_i_j[/tex]in terms of i & j.

The answer is

[tex]h_i_j = \frac{1}{i + j - 1} [/tex]

but I can't for the life of me understand how you would recognize that this formula fits the pattern formed in the matrix.

If you were answering this question, would you just attempt to form a formula with n's, i's and j's floating around or is there some method that would be helpful when addressing these types of problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you saw that every entry was a fraction with "1" in the numerator, didn't you?:tongue2:

So, it's just a matter of looking at the denominators.

In the first row, where i= 1, the denominators are: j=1, 1; j= 2, 2; j=3, 3; j= 4, 4; ... which are j= j+i-1.

In the second row, where i= 2, the denominators are: j= 1, 2; j= 2, 3; j= 3, 4; j= 4, 5;... which are j+ 1= j+ i- 1 again.

1. What is an NxN Hilbert Matrix?

An NxN Hilbert Matrix is a special type of square matrix where the values in each row and column follow a specific pattern. The value at position (i,j) is equal to 1/(i+j-1). These matrices are named after the mathematician David Hilbert and have various applications in numerical analysis, linear algebra, and optimization.

2. What is the significance of an NxN Hilbert Matrix?

NxN Hilbert Matrices are significant because they are used in many scientific and mathematical applications. They have important properties such as being a well-conditioned matrix and being invertible, which makes them useful in solving systems of linear equations and in numerical calculations. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts such as the Riemann zeta function.

3. How is an NxN Hilbert Matrix constructed?

An NxN Hilbert Matrix can be constructed by using a nested loop to fill in the values in each position of the matrix. The outer loop iterates through each row, and the inner loop iterates through each column. The value at position (i,j) can be calculated using the formula 1/(i+j-1). Alternatively, there are also pre-defined functions or methods in many programming languages for creating Hilbert Matrices.

4. What are the properties of an NxN Hilbert Matrix?

NxN Hilbert Matrices have several important properties. They are symmetric, meaning that they are equal to their own transpose. They are also positive definite, meaning that all their eigenvalues are positive. Additionally, they are well-conditioned, which means that small changes in the input values will not significantly affect the output. These properties make them useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

5. How are NxN Hilbert Matrices used in real-world applications?

NxN Hilbert Matrices have many real-world applications, particularly in numerical analysis and linear algebra. They are used in solving systems of linear equations, calculating determinants, and in optimization problems. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. For example, they are used in image processing, signal processing, and in fitting curves to data points.